Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Round PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi,

Im after a Pcb which needs to be a ring, or at the very least a ring. I was wondering if any companies do pcbs like this for one off orders? Worst comes to worst I could get it square and trim it but I would worry about the track breaking.

James

All PCB companies can make a very small number of PCBs...they'll just charge you a crapload so that you could probably get at least 10 the same price. It'd be much cheaper to trim a square board around the edges. Just use a rotary tool and a cutoff wheel so that it's an abrasive cut rather than a shear cut so no force is exerted on the board. Wear a mask though and do it outside! That dust isn't good for you to breathe in. Possibly wet it down too to help with the dust. GO slowly and give the edge ample room until you figure out how much the board might melt from the heat and slow down the RPM until you figure it out.

I'd definately try to get the hole in the middle done by the company though. That shouldn't be a problem...maybe...not sure if the hobbyist priced PCB servces will do a cutout for you like that.

Last edited:
i've done it that way also w/ a dremal tool and files. just as stated take your time. any more i just put a small hole in the middle and spin it off on a small metal lathe.

I have seen many "ring" PCBs.

They are used for "afterburner" rings in RC jets.

PCB manufacturers will do whatever you ask. Your routing routes mean nothing to them. If you lay it out, it can be done.

When laying it out, remember to cut the INSIDE of the ring first, then the outside. This will allow for more stable surface for part placing.

Also, you should leave at least 3 "break-away-tabs" to hold the ring to the main panel.

I do 80mm round dblsided pcbs often......I use a tin snips to cut away the excess from a square board...no dust and 1 min. time.

I also use a plexi cutter carbide scribe to snap off the square board....no dust and no warping.

I guess you could also design your pcb with room for a small hole in the middle, perhaps with a pad. Use a hole saw on the square boards to cut them round. Downside is you will have a small hole in the center from the sawpilot hole.

Im after a Pcb which needs to be a ring, or at the very least a ring.
Use a hole saw on the square boards to cut them round. Downside is you will have a small hole in the center from the saw pilot hole.
Use a large hole saw for the outside of the ring. With same pilot hole, use a small hole saw for the inside of the ring.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back