Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotating Tripod Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

Hey everyone!

I have been getting into time-lapse photography lately, but I have grown tired of plain old still time-lapses. I have been brainstorming a design for a dirt-cheap rotating tripod head.

However, I have run into a dilemma: I can't find anywhere a small, inexpensive (I'm talking less than $10) DC motor that is slow enough (<1RPM) for my needs. The motor will be driving a single wheel on the end of a shaft in a circle, which will very slowly rotate my camera on a bearing. I'm hoping to rotate my camera about 2-8 degrees per minute.

Anyone know of an inexpensive smallish DC motor with <1RPM or how I could utilize gears? The torque/power doesn't matter too much, but more would be better (I think).

Thanks!

arhi - thank you for your reply! I have been searching for a gearbox that would sufficiently slow down the speed of the motor, but none of them seem to slow it down enough. I am not very experienced with motors/gearing, so I don't really know what to look for.

As for the servos, I'm not quite sure how they work. How do I power/control them? Not sure if they'd work for this application, but I really appreciate the input!

the servo you control using some micro controller or similar device, you send it a pulse, and the "size" of the pulse defines "where" the servo will point, so by sending a proper pulse you can move the servo to a predefined location (usually from -60 to +60 degrees).

you have on sparkfun 200:1 or ever higher transmission rate gears. If you need even slower you can make a motor speed controller with a simple PWM circuit (you can make one with ne555 or again use a micro controller). Search the forum for pwm dc motor speed and you will find bunch of threads that cover it... here are few:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...ple-dc-motor-controller-torque-is-lost.42370/

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/simple-pwm-motor-controller.33974/

Last edited:
I need a motor that is going to be able to continuously rotate 360 degrees, so a servo won't work.

A motor speed controller would not be ideal for this project, since this all has to go on a tripod.

I did find a 1 rpm dc motor that I could gear down. However, I don't know enough about gear ratios and gearboxes to get the desired speed. Is there some type of gear kit that I can play around with?

A servo is not going to work because the motor will be driving a wheel, which needs to rotate 360 degrees.

A motor speed controller also won't work, because it will take up too much space on the top of a tripod.

I did find a 1rpm dc motor that could be easily geared down, but I don't know anything about gear ratios. What gearbox/ratio could I use with this motor to get out ~0.5rpm?

Servo motors and motor controllers will not work for this project.

I found a 1rpm dc motor, but I do not know what gearbox I need to use to get an end speed of ~0.5rpm.

Also, this motor is fairly expensive. I'd love to have just a cheap dc motor and then gear it down with worm gears or something else, but I just don't know enough about gear ratios. Can someone please help me to find a dc motor + gearbox with an end speed of ~0.5rpm? I feel limited by my knowledge!

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back