Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rotating disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

athba

hi

i hav Q about the sensor i want to calculate speed and direction of rotating disk colored by black and white,what type of sensor i have to use and how can i calculate the speed of the rotating disk and direction??

If a Rotry encoder can be detected regarding is dirction, a rotating plate also can be.

the circuit assumes two sensors(reflective type ) which sensor is getting interrupted first decides the direction of rotation.
perhps you have to find the algorithm for rpm-- a possibility-- and no of interruptions per a known time can be counted and thre processor can calculate the rpm from a formula.

hi,

>> i want to calculate speed and direction of rotating disk colored by black and white,what type of sensor i have to use
Use a reflective IR sensor pair module, TX and RX in one small plastic housing.
There are versions available that give a TTL level ouput.
[Black/White == Dark/Light == Low/High signal]

>> and how can i calculate the speed of the rotating disk
By knowing the distance from the centre of the disk to the point where the detector is located. Circ= 2 * pi * R. you can work out the linear speed.

For the rpm of the disk you count the Light/Dark transistions of the detector over a known time, say 60secs.

>> and direction??
The easiest way is you have a second IR detector pair 90deg [quadrature] from the first detector, from the two detectors you work out the direction.

A PIC would be my first choice for this application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back