Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary Switch for CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclaudii

I broke the rotary switch that selects channels on my cb, where do I get a new one at to replace the broke one?

Thanks for the info.

I think your going to have to post a little more info. For a perfect fit your probably going to have to either get it from the manufacturer or take it from another radio.

What make/model is the radio? A picture of the switch would also help.

They still have there place, but I agree, not much "chatter" anymore.

I used to drive a gravel truck, and we all had CBs to communicate with the other trucks and blade operators. When we got into new housing developments it was nice to get instructions on where to unload via radio as opposed to the "scream and point in the general direction" method:D

Wow, Seriously I didn't think you guys would make so much fun out of something useful.

Anyway, I mainly keep it in my Jeep Wrangler for when I'm offroading, it gets out when there is no cell phone reception in remote areas. It's also great for if I'm in a group of people who are with me when were out in the sticks, we can tune to the same channel and communicate to each other. Not to mention it's handy as a pocket in your underwear when your sitting in traffic and need something to pass the time with. Truck drives can tell you what is happening, where the troopers are, if you should take an exit to bypass the congestion, etc. Hopefully someday I'll move up to ham radio.

Oh, and something I used to do in High School growing up, you can tell I live in the sticks, is Rabbit Race (aka fox hunt, dxing). I believe there is a wiki page out there on dxing or something, but we would spend many a friday or saturday nights doing this.

I had some pictures, but I must of deleted them or something....I'll get some more. I'm guessing it's a 40 position switch since it's 40 channels. It still works now, I just broke the shaft off! I had it pulled out working on it and tilted my seat up on it and broke it. Hopefully I'll get if fixed.

You need to get an exact correct switch - from what I can remember they are special switches that provide a 'code' for each position, rather than a standard 40 way switch.

Without knowing the model number of your rig, I can't help much, but try looking here.
**broken link removed**

I went ahead and e-mailed cobra, hopefully one of those other models will work in place of mine. It is a cobra 18 wx
Cobra

Thanks for the link

Hopefully the folks at Cobra can help. I see your radio for sale as low as $54 online, and some of the switches on the page Mike posted are almost half the price of the radio. I doubt there is alot of demand for parts for them.

How is the switch attached inside? Is it going to be a soldering nightmare to remove and replace?

Last edited:
Hopefully the folks at Cobra can help. I see your radio for sale as low as $54 online, and some of the switches on the page Mike posted are almost half the price of the radio. I doubt there is alot of demand for parts for them.

How is the switch attached inside? Is it going to be a soldering nightmare to remove and replace?

If it's anything like the ones I saw years ago (and I presume it is?) they don't have that many connections - it connects directly to the frequency synthesiser chip, so just dials an address (and it's not zero to thirtynine either).

It shouldn't be too bad, looks like only 4 or 5 tabs and a few structural tabs.

The sad thing is it stillworks, the shaft just broke. I may try some JBWeld and see if I can align it back up right if it's over 10 bucks. I got the radio for 20 bucks :), but a week later I slammed the stupid seat on it!

I saw this one on the site Mike posted and pictured it soldered into a PCB at all those points.

**broken link removed**

No. Did you ever? Do you have to in Canada?

Edit - From Wikipedia:
Originally, CB required a license and the use of a call sign, but when the CB craze was at its peak, many people ignored this requirement and used made-up nicknames or "handles". The many restrictions on the authorized use of CB radio led to widespread disregard of the regulations, most notably in antenna height, distance restriction for communications, licensing and the use of call signs, and allowable transmitter power. Eventually, the license requirement was dropped entirely

Last edited:
That is correct, only if you are using the ham radio do you need a license. CB operates in a open free band, similar to your home wireless networks, or those cheap walkie talkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back