Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary multi switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
hah, ugh i know nothing about these switches.
is there a switch you could advise but that i can buy maybe a few of.
would like it to be small as it is going into a tube about 17mm wide.
the ones on digikey you have to buy 300 of.

I don't know of any offhand but visit websites like Mouser and Newark. Use their "filters" to figure out what you need, and then the spec sheets for the switches that are left will give an outside diameter. Basically you're looking for a "rotary switch" with 1 deck, 1 pole per deck, and 4 positions (aka 1P4T) Break-Before-Make (aka non-shorting). I don't know what you're switching, but keep an eye on voltage and current ratings if you're working with anything substantial.

What's your location? I likely have a few I could send you as freebies if you are in the US. Additionally, what is the plan for it as that will determine how much current it needs to switch.

Ron

I'm just below Pitt.. not far
these would be running 3.7-6v at 1-2amps
i am planing on running a TI booster board inside a 17mm tube using a cr123a
but the problem is i want to make a lot of these. those switches are looking to be about 23$ and up. the freebies would be nice but if i cant get them at a good price i might a well scrap the idea of rotary.

Yeah, good ones aren't cheap. Additionally if it needs to fit in a 17mm tube you will need a switch less than .5" that handles 1-2 amps. Not easy to find. You may want to start looking at less expensive slide switches. :(

Ron

i might have wrote that wrong. i need a 0.3a switch.
i found some slide switches like the digikey one but didn't want to go that route. seems i have to.

Most of the rotary switches I am familiar with would be a tight fit. The real problem with many is the cost. Maybe something in the Electroswitch C5 or C6 series(Electroswitch). Also Grayhill Switches are pretty reasonable for some basic rotary designs. Also Tyco Electronics (Alcoswitch) make some nice small rotary switches. I generally buy from Allied Electronics (Allied Electronics) but digi key and others all carry the ones I mentioned. They do have some small ones, like the type that mount on a PCB.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back