Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary Encoder with Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

I'm having trouble locating a mechanical Rotary Encoder with built-in switch that outputs gray-scale values on the A & B outputs in the detent positions... The Bourns PEC11 series devices I received (from Mouser) and the Canon ITT NSE12 devices I received (from Digikey) only output the gray code on the A and B pins while the devices are positioned between the detent positions... Bummer!!!

Anyone know of any mechanical Rotary Encoders with built-in switch and detent in the distribution channel which output the A and B gray-code continuously?

Thank you Gentlemen... Regards, Mike

Sorry,I thought that gray scale had only one interpretation, and it was impossible to get an ambiguous result.

Please explain how you get an ambiguity!

Mike

Hi Pommie,

I'm not getting ambiguous results... These two different Encoders simply do not place the gray code values onto the A and B pins when the Encoders are in any of the detent positions... If I move the Encoders and hold them in a position between the detents I can read the correct data... Strange, huh?

My only 'clue' is that the data sheets for both Encoders say they provide "pulsed" gray code outputs... Unfortunately, I need steady state outputs at the detent positions for this project and I haven't found any Encoders at Mouser or Digikey that aren't "pulsed" Encoders...

Thank you very much for taking time to reply... Regards, Mike

Attachments

• pulsed_encoder.jpg
    pulsed_encoder.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 818
I think many of these rotary encoders work like that, the idea is to use interrupts to read them, triggered by the pulses. By doing this it probably increases reliablity, the older ones (that gave permanent outputs) were very prone to random triggering as they got more use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back