Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ROM Less Z80 microprocessor trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

power58

Hello All: Does any one have a schematic for a ROM less Z80 microprocessor trainer. Would like to build a bare bones trainer that does not have a monitor program in ROM . Would like to hand enter machine language commands. The Art of Electronics student manual 1st edition had one, but I can't find the first edition anywhere. The Circuit Cellar Build your own Z80 had one also but the out of print editions are expendsive. Thanks for your Help.

Small programs and I would like to single step the Z80 through each instruction cycle. Sounds weird I argee. Would use a 74C923 encoder for the keypad and TIL 311's for the address and Data Buss. Thanks for the Z80 link. Have a bunch of Z80's around. Don't have many of the new processors and 8051 and the PIC development stuff is a little more than my hobby budget can stand right now.

Hello All: Does any one have a schematic for a ROM less Z80 microprocessor trainer.

The following webpage shows a Z80 without ROM. Only one extra chip is needed to get started. Of course you can use binary switches to input the machine commands.

**broken link removed**

HI,

Wow, this thread brings back memories. I built an 8080 single step
system way back when, way back ha ha. I found that this is the
hardest way to work with the microprocessors however.

With the Z80, even if you use the smallest roms you can load a bootloader
program into rom and that will allow you to upload to the uC from a
host computer (your PC). This way you can write code on the PC and
upload to the hardware uC to try everything out.

I might be able to find the bootloader code, but im not sure where it is
right now. The Z80 requires a bunch of chips to get to work as a
micro controller so i havent used that in quite some time now.

Thanks for the reply the 8080 days were wild, still have some S100 boards, sounds like you had a great set up. I like the bootloader Idea.

If it is just for fun I understand what you are doing.

But if you would rather use modern processors you can put together a RS232 based ICD2 clone for maybe $10 or $15. With that you have a built in debugger that lets you single step C or machine code.

Hi Power58,
I don't know it this may be what your looking for, but several years ago (1996 to be exact) I designed some Z80 based micro systems for use on some projects that I was doing.
They have a 32k RAM, a 32K ROM, 2 x 8255 PPI's, an RS232 interface to link to the PC a watchdog re-trigger system, and a few other bits and bobs etc.
I can 'scan' (whats left) of the circuit diagram, together a few photo's and email it to you if your interested, I should also have most of the project code available to give you a starter.
If your interested, you can have one for just the cost of the postage (they are just sitting here gathering dust).
It may save you the effort of putting some of the hardware together if nothing else.
Let me know
Roy

Thanks for the info 3V0 and fenderman. fenderman that would be great if you could Email the diagram along with how much the postage would be and where to send it.
Thanks Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back