Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

robotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky25

hello friends i am completely new to the field of robotics. I am about to participate in a robotics competetion being held here in the month of october.. not so sure about the arena. i just wanted to build a robot which can walk atleast. i got a tutorial frm www.parallax.com here.. he has started building the robot with a basic stamp module. the problem is no pre designed circuit is allowed in the competetion. so i cant use the stamp module. so how can i replace it with something else or can i build the stamp module of myself?
please help me out!

I find it hard to believe that they don't let the BS2 in... its an MCU... not a pre-designed circuit... if they say that it is a pre-designed circuit, then technically, they could argue that every single IC is a pre-designed circuit, which technically, they are. Parallax could have just put the BS2 module inside its own IC just as easily, and then it would look just like a regular IC...

Can you use a PICAXE? It's not a drop in replacement for the Basic Stamp, but it is essentially the same silicon. I think it'd be the fastest, chapest way. THe other way is to use an actual PIC (which is at the core of the BASIC Stamp and the PICAXE, just they have extra hardware and/or software to make it more hobby friendly). THey take more time to learn though and you need some extra tools.

THat's silly. No Basic Stamp. Did you ask them or did you yourself assume they would call a BS2 a pre-designed circuit?

I imagine the intent of the no-BS2 rule is to limit the extent to which some competitors would be able to take advantage of proprietary assistance. If the competitions could be won simply based on how much money was invested by competitors, only the wealthiest competitors would win (who are not necessarily the most inventive or creative competitors, or even the ones with the most thorough understanding of their field).

I'd use an 18F series PIC and Swordfish BASIC SE. Works great on my Mongoose robot kit.
Code:
[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Courier New]Device [/FONT][/B][FONT=Courier New]= 18F2525 [/FONT][/SIZE]             [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]//              Mongoose CPU PIC18F2525[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]
Clock [/B]= 8 [/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// 8MHz
[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]Include [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000]"Mongoose.bas"
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]While true 
  [/B]MotorLR(64,-127) [/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// Left              fwd 64 (50%), Right rev -127 (100%)
  [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]High[/B](PORTC.0) [/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// turn on the headlight LED 
  [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]DelayMS[/B](5000) [/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// delay 5 seconds
  [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]Low[/B](PORTC.0) [/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// turn off the headlight LED
  [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3]MotorLR(0,0) [/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// stop
  [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]DelayMS[/B](1000) [/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// delay 1 second
[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][B]Wend [/B][/SIZE]             [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][I]// repeat
[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Courier New]End[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back