Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

Been working on a Robot for about the last six monthes or so. Finally got it done.
The Robot was built to satisfy a senior design class.

The Robot is actually just a ROV that is controlled from a base station. The vehicle
has a range of about 250 feet in open areas.

Just wanted to see what people thought of the project.

Any comments welcome.

Attached are some pictures of the Robot and the Base station.

Thanks.
kingpin094

Attachments

• rover.jpg
    rover.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,767
  • basestation.jpg
    basestation.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,795
Very nice!

The image that is on the base station is a camera that is mounted on the front of the robot.
It uses four 100:1 gearmotors that push the massive 5" tires. The steering is like a
tank. Turning is accomplised by slowing down or reversing the inside track depending
on the turning direction.

kingpin094

Huh..there have been a bunch of ppl who have asked how to send video from a r/c robot..
what method did you use??

I used an off the shelf camera from **broken link removed**.

It outputs a standard NTSC rca video stream.

kingpin094

Is that robot being controlled by a PS2 controller? I've been trying to figure out that protocol for a long time. And what kind communications did you use to control the bot?

[edit] Say, kingpin094. Do you have a webpage for the project?

Pretty sweet! I'm making a project near identical to this a the moment, using a PS2 pad, a remote controlled robot with an arm and a camera and sound. The actual receiver for the video and sound is a pair of Olympus Eye-Trek FMD-20P VR goggles for the PS2.

Nice work! I hope mine ends up looking as good!

Actually the controller is an Sony PSOne controller. They use the exact same
type of communications as the PS2 just with les information.

Here is a good place to start with Playstation Controller interfacing.
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/psxcont/psxcont.htm

The communication is done with a set of Lynx TX/RX modules. A rough version
of Convolutional Encoding and Viterbi decoding was used to do some forward
error correction. A 16-bit CRC was also used to prevent invalid data.

kingpin094

I have an upcoming project involving a PS2 controller, but so far, I'm at a loss as far as the handshaking & key data goes. I'm interested in PS2 mainly so I can take advantage of the analog buttons and force feedback. For whatever reason, I can't seem to find any information (or much interest) on PS2 devices even after Googling the topic to death.

Have you or darkliquid happen to come across any PS2 info so far? I'll take any help I can get.

Any interest from DARPA yet?

Well, the thing about gamesx is they only cover PSOne pads. I was looking for something more along the lines of a PS2 controller with the analog buttons and 'shock' motors--specifically Gamester's invertable Phoenix controller. Mainly I need to know what the "clear to send" value is and how to activate the motors.

Have fun finding out. I haven't got very far either, and since I don't need the analogue button functionality, I'm going to be using a PS1 Dual Shock pad, in fact, that is what I've been designing for so far.

Good luck!

Oh well. This PS2 thing is a total mystery to me. It's almost as if the protocol is some kind of well-guarded secret or something. I'll probably have to figure out the format the old fashioned way. If I'm lucky, it'll be pretty similar to PSX. Anyway, you've got to admit, those game controllers make great interfaces for these RC bot projects. And real cheap too.

Kingpin094 said:
I used an off the shelf camera from **broken link removed**.

It outputs a standard NTSC rca video stream.

kingpin094

like is dead,mate.... how did you design ur robotic arm mate? can u show us some photos how u connect them? i admire ur work...more power.

please my project is same probably of your project which photo is [File Type: jpg] rover.jpg (28.3 KB, 2393 views) which you put it to we watch your project . can you help me to make a robot like that please please please reply to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back