Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RL Low Pass Filter Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltAudio

Hello,

Any suggested sites that will allow me to tinker with various RL passive low pass filter configurations? I'm trying to filter out 18K and above from audio signal and thought to try passive route first.

Many thanks........Mickey

Why the L ?

RC filters are much cheaper to construct.

Inductors for audio frequencies tend to be expensive.

JimB

Well every iteration I've tried with RC seem to attenuate the entire signal. I've had good luck with RL configuration with 150Hz low pass and thought to build upon this experience.

For a given roll-off frequency, there's no difference between an RL and and RC filter. A simple 1-pole, RC LP filter with a -3dB point of 149Hz can be constructed with a 10.7kΩ resistor in series with a 0.1µF capacitor to ground, for example.

Last edited:
Hello,

You need to tell us what kind of power level you are working with. For an inter-stage audio section you can get away with a lot more than if you have to drive a 8 ohm speaker with this at 100 watts.

Using an inductor rather than a capacitor can cause less attenuation if you can work that inductance against the output impedance. An inductor in series with the output may work ok, and an inductor in theory has no loss. An inductor with low series resistance may work well for your app, but we have to know more about what you are using to drive this with and what you are driving with this. Low power inductors are not expensive and it does seem that you are working at a decently high frequency so that should keep cost down, if in fact you are working at low power that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back