Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabyh

hy guys
i'm working to make a project wherein i will want to use a device that will connect a 555 buzzer into the computer for a school use to ring a bell at specified time using a dos program or win (for example 8:am 8,50am,9:am 9,50 am 10.10 am 11:am, 11,10:am 12:pm 12,10:pm, 13:pm 13.10:pm and 14:pm)....i just want to ask what are the things needed for it to be able to connect to the computer (usb, serial, or a paralel port?) and what kind of soft can i use for this project???

regards

If DOS, use the printer port to a transisor circuit to power it.

Use gwbasic or basica (or powerbasic.com has a trial DOS basic compilter). Not hard to do.

More details will get more information.

Location might help too.

i'm not a IT teacher only geography/history so ...i need in help for this project can u?
i want to use a celeron computer with xp sp2 for this .
what program can i build or where can i found one for use with this? i need a vc++ program ?
and a ddk driver for xp?
so ?? anybody help?

Last edited:
You can use whatever program you are familiar with, or want to learn. BASIC is the easiest and will do the job, but is limted in what is possible. Windows XP is smart enough to send PRN output to the parallel port. If you send the letter "A", the LSB will go high and you can use that to ring the bell.

DOS is probably easier as you have direct acces to the parallel port, get hold of an old computer from the IT department and install FreeDOS.

You can do it with XP, you need Visual Basic an an ActivX control, oh on second thoughts try FreeBASIC, it's fairly easy to use.

I'm not meaning to sound rude but why are you teaching this in Geography/History? I though this would be the sort of thing taught in Design and technology.

To be honest I wouldn't use a PC at all, I'd use a PIC, PLC or even an elaborate array of CMOS gates rather than a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back