Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Right transistor chip to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindctrl

Hi there,

I'm working on my LED Flasher Array, using 20 Infrared LEDs (here's the datasheet for the ones I will be using: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/12/QED233.pdf )

I've just got a few questions. I'm going to use Nigel Goodwin's PIC LED flasher (), and then just connect a transistor to one of the pins on the PIC, then connect LEDs in series to the transistor. Here's a crude drawing of what I want to achieve; P=PIC, T=Transistor, L=LED, R=Resistor and the dashes are wires.

P----T----R---L---L---L---L

So on and so forth. Leds will be blinking at 11hz. What I wanted to know is what transistor should I use for this? I used the MetkuMods LED calculator to calculate my resistance I should be using (http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/ledcalc/index_eng) but I wasn't sure that I was putting in the right numbers (Wasn't completely sure what Voltage Drop Across LED was), but if somebody could double check my work, that would be great. Here's the numbers I got:

.: LEDs in Parallel:

Supply Voltage: 12 Volts (since I'll be plugging it into a 12V socket in my car)
Voltage Drop Across LED: 1.5 Volts
Desired LED Current: 100 Milliamps
How many LEDs connected: 20

And that should give me a resistor of 5.6 Ohm that rates at 35 Watts... Does any of that look right?

If so, then it looks like I'll be needing a transistor that can take the relatively weak voltage from the PIC(+5V) and use that to switch on and off the 12V supply from the car. Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

--mindctrl

just about any TO 92 N channel FET will work..TO 92 is the type of package a lot of transistors come in..
or this one is a bit of an overkill but it will work at logic levels of a Pic..
and it is only $0.67 cents..

IRL520N N-ch MOSFET logic-level gate voltage, 10A, 100V TO-220 $0.67

TO 220 packages have tabs with a hole in them..

hold on , i dont think that 20 LEDs in series will work with 12 V
because with 1.5V per diode drop, that means about seven diodes is about the maximum that u could use with 12V..
12V/1.5V =8
and with the voltage drop on the transistor itself seven is the max you could use..

mindctrl said:
OK, I can hook them up in parallel. How does that compute out to? Still use that same transistor?
with three parallel branches you could use 21 diodes , each branch would require its own transistor and current limiting resistor.

Sounds about right. I can just hook the LEDs to the transistors, then each of the three transistors to a different pinout on the PIC, right? So I'll still only need one PIC, hopefully.

mindctrl said:
Sounds about right. I can just hook the LEDs to the transistors, then each of the three transistors to a different pinout on the PIC, right? So I'll still only need one PIC, hopefully.
sure the Pics have (well most ) at least 12 possible outputs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back