Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rgb vu meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitikarmol

hi!
i will need some help for a rgb vu meter that i want to make. if someone is kind enough to help me out with the schematic since i don't have any idea.
i want that 10 rgb leds to act as a sound vu meter and every time that they light to change the color the circuit must be connected to 12v.
like in here http : / / www . youtube . com / watch?v = Ele4YWKNaWM

Your link does not work maybe because it has too many spaces.

The VU meter circuit might overheat with a 12V supply because red LEDs need only about 1.8V the your LED driver will have (12V - 1.8V)= 10.2V across it times the LED current which migh be 20mA so the LED drivers must dissipate (10.2V x 20mA)= 204mW EACH!

Use a lower supply voltage or add a power resistor to feed the LEDs and the resistor will share the total heat.

The problem with a VU meter that does not have a peak detector is that the upper LEDs are turned on for a duration less than you can see so they appear dimmed.

You can use LEDs that have different colours if you want. The video might use RGB LEDs on the right side so that the colour depends on the sound frequency.

You will have the problem of heat since the 12V supply voltage is too high.

i didn't know that i could use links in here that is why i used the spaces :D
for the 12v i will put a power resistor. what i don't know is how to make them change the colour every time and act as a vu meter.
i have a schematic for vu meter but is not a rgb led .
so what i have in mind is to make 2 schematics one for the led's that changes the colours every time they light and the second that work like a vu meter and then merge the schematics, but i don't know that it could work.
any ideas?

i just thout that i don't need the power supply at all, because i will connect all to the to the speakers with a tip31 and a variable. what remains is how i make the led's change they'r colours every time.

The Instructables LED circuit using a TIP31 transistor is full of errors.
It blows up the stereo amplifier, the TIP31 transistor and the LEDs.

LED colours are changed by using a "colour organ" filter and LED driver circuit which has a different frequency band for each colour.
Each colour has its own VU meter circuit.

View attachment 65505 this is the schematic of a rgb led driver that has 2 options:
1. switch between the different colours
2. have the colours fade into each other.

now i suppose that i will need a vu meter schematic for each led? or i can make these schematic to act as a vu meter while change colours. can anyone with more experience can tell?

The new circuit simply lights the LEDs abruptly Red, Green, Blue, Red, Green, Blue over and over without anything to do with audio.

You need VU meter circuits for each colour, you need a circuit to activate each colour from this circuit and you need fader circuits for each colour.

Don't you want the colours to indicate bass, midrange or treble frequencies?

simple vu meter without bass or mid or trble.
i think the scheme is continuously cycled through the colors of the rainbow if i'm not mistaken.
now correct me if i'm wrong i should multiply the schematic for each led i add.
it will be like a scheme for the vumeter and then 20 scheme for each led am i right?

I think you could do what you want using three LM3915-based circuits each driving 10 LEDs. The circuits would drive respectively 10 red, 10 green and 10 blue LEDs. Additional components would cyclically set the LED current of the three circuits to different values for changing the composite colour effect.

Is the color change just eye candy or do you want it to mean something?

thanks for nothing

i don't want them to mean anything just to change theyr colour avery time they light.
when i started this post i said that i need some help with a schematic if that's ok..... but still nothing only ideas...i have no idea about circuits and how to make a circuit... so....you all can tell me to use this use that...but is in vane couse i don't know what it means.
If someone can help me with a good scheme it is more than welcome. then we could talk about the errors that the circuit have and so one... untill it has the result that i need (i don't know about my english spell since i'm from spain).

Last edited:
when i started this post i said that i need some help with a schematic if that's ok..... but still nothing only ideas
We can't provide a schematic until we have a clear understanding of exactly what you are trying to do and what results you need.....hence all the questions.
i have no idea about circuits and how to make a circuit... so....you all can tell me to use this use that...but is in vane couse i don't know what it means.
If we can provide a schematic do you have the knowledge and skills to be able to understand the schematic and successfully build a project based on it?

i have the knowledge and skills to build it to understand i will inform about every piece what it does.
Now for knowing better what is the result that i want i will explain.
10 RGB led in a row to act like a vumeter and each time that they light to change the colours in an agresively way. the circuit y want to connect to speakers if possible or with 12v.
In a word i want to act like in the video y posted at the beginning of the thread.
i also uploaded a schematic that only changes the colors of the led but still don't know if it is of any use.
i can upload a vumeter scheme and the scheme that i already posted coud bind together and give me the result that i need if possible.
Thanks for your interess in helping me. (Sorry about my english)

Normaly at least one of the lights on a UV meter stay on all the time.
Do you what them to change color after every time thay change state?

Ya so that is a video of some flashing blinking lights.
The left side is red all the time time.
The right side seems to fade to red periodically but is mostly blue.
The right side color change may just be somthing in the camra pick up.
Do you want the color to change randomly?

The colours are changing on the right side much too quickly. The electronics should trigger a colour change on the slow beat of the music, not on every fast cycle.

From what I can make out from the fuzzy video there seems to be 4 columns of 20 LED clusters, each cluster comprising 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue LED close together; in other words 240 LEDs altogether! I think you're going to need many more than 10 LEDs to get a worthwhile display. What is your budget for this project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back