Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB light strip for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da_MerV

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I know the drill because I've been on so many other forums before. Here's a question I asked on another forum but I'm not getting much help because it's not a circuitry forum. So in order to get better help, I Google searched for electronics forums and this is what I found.

So anyway here's my problem. I have a length of RGB led ribbon and I don't want to buy a RGB controller, rather, I would like to make my own because I can't find one that suits my liking. If you can find me a controller thats not too expensive and is what I'm looking for, then I take that advice too. I want to be able to control the brightness level of each channel individually so I am able to change it to any color manually, and also a global control so I can dim it entirely or turn it off. My idea, and I don't know if it would work and I don't want to waste money if it won't, is to have four potentiometers, three hooked directly to each channel, then one connect to the other three. The LED strip is common anode I believe. It just sounds too simple and I'm afraid I left out something. Also, if I'm going to need potentiometers, could someone please point me to the correct type? There are so many in RadioShack and I only have a basic understanding of them. They are going in my car so it's 12DC of course. Thanks for any help. I might post a diagram later if it will help people understand what I am doing.

You can't control the brightness of more than a single LED with an ordinary potentiometer. It will burn up unless it is huge and very expensive.
If there are 30 LEDs and each has a max of 20mA then the total current is 0.6A so a linear current limiter will dissipate about 7.2W which would make a controller transistor very hot.

So Pulse-Width-Modulation circuits are used to dim many LEDs in cars.
There are many of these circuits on the internet. Some work and some don't.

Ok......
Please excuse me, I have little knowledge on this matter, could you please point me to the necessary resources?

Da_MerV said:
Ok......
Please excuse me, I have little knowledge on this matter, could you please point me to the necessary resources?
Look at Pulse Width Modulation in Google.

Ok I understand what they are now but where can I buy a cheap circuit that will do what you said and have the necessary power?

You might find a circuit somewhere.
Maybe you must design and build the circuit yourself.

audioguru said:
Maybe you must design and build the circuit yourself.
The reason why I came here. The most complex thing I've ever built was a light sensor dimmer and I did that out of a kit. Could someone either point me to a kit or a completed product?

Very few people have RGB LED dimmers on their cars. Maybe nobody.
I don't know any company that would make a kit or product with no buyers.

Accent lighting for home and auto seems to be "taking off".

I started to design an Accent Lighting Controller awhile back (last post this link).

Perhaps it's time to get back to that project.

Mike...

Mike, that's look absolutely amazing! Definitely continue this, if the price is reasonable, I would definitely buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back