Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB LED Resistor Values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

Hello Gentlemen,

Can anyone suggest how I might choose current limiting resistor values to equalize the brightness of the red, green, and blue elements of an RGB LED without sophisticated test equipment? Do I simply "eyeball" it and try different resistor values?

TIA for the help/suggestions... Regards, Mike

Attachments

• rgb_led_pwm_1.jpg
    rgb_led_pwm_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,740
Afraid not. But looking at the spec sheet and using the specified power for each channel I think usually makes a white since that's what most people want.

mike , very interesting project you got there..
question : you are using the same pwm ratio for the three colors right?
you just want to make the blue a little dimmer i suppose??
you could use a varible resistor on all three till you find the right combination..

williB said:
mike , very interesting project you got there..
question : you are using the same pwm ratio for the three colors right?
Hi Willi (and Oznog too),

Yeah, I thought about adjusting the PWM to compensate for brightness levels between elements... Though, I'd still like to get as close as possible with the resistor values...
you could use a varible resistor on all three till you find the right combination..
I don't have any pots' but I've got a good range of resistor values... Perhaps I'll just put a couple small machined pin sockets on the first prototype board to plug resistors into...

I'll probably put another three 2N7002's on the board to drive the LED too... I don't want to burn out the 12F683...

Thanks for the suggestions guys... Regards, Mike

<added>

Anyone out there with PC programming expertise willing to write a little PC control app' with slide controls for the three LED values, etc.? I plan to implement a simple RS-232 command language, perhaps something as simple as sending strings like; "7F,FF,00,<cr>" for the Red, Green, and Blue values... Maybe even add some effect commands like, 'fade', 'from value', 'to value', 'delay', 'repeat'...

Hi Willi,

I think I've got a handle on the resistor values... Thanks...

I'll be playing with code this weekend and perhaps get a start on the next variation (below)... I'm also looking for recommendations on bright wide angle RGB LEDs... The little SMD LEDs should work fine for super low profile strip light fixtures for shelf lighting but I'd like to use something heftier for ceiling fixtures and above cabinet fixtures...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• rgb_led_pwm_2.jpg
    rgb_led_pwm_2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,239
Thank you (and Oznog),

Gosh, those are beautiful (and expensive)... Guess I better start saving my pennies (grin)...

Regards, Mike

Mike said:
Thank you (and Oznog),

Gosh, those are beautiful (and expensive)... Guess I better start saving my pennies (grin)...

Regards, Mike

BL2000 RGB is under $20 from Mouser. You need to pay attention to whether your device is a common anode or common cathode and if your driver design supports that type. The solution will vary, especially switching converters usually needed for this kind of power level. A switching converter needs to be a completely different design for common anode vs common cathode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back