Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFpic vs. uC+RF modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabauti

I want to transmit data from pic to pic. What's the best option?

using RFpics or

using MCUs + this kind of RF modules?

pros? cons?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I'm not sure what an RFpic is, but the above module looks like an RLP434 reciever, and the equivilant transmitter are quite cheap and easy to use.

From memory, the data is ASK encoded, and you can send/recieve UART data quite easily with them
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I've done up some program examples that can be **broken link removed**

The rfPIC family is limited to **broken link removed** in 3 frequency ranges. It only has 1K bytes of 12 bit memory. Not much MCU to work with.

I favor a separate MCU and radio. What you pick depends on how deep your pocketbook is and how far you need to transmit. May options, a brief tour of what I have found follows.

On the high end you can get ready to use units from sparkfun. The UM12 transceivers work up to 1000 meters for about $45 US ea.

**broken link removed**

On the low end I have found Radiotronix modules. The TX is under $5 and the RX is about $6 for a 300 foot range unit or $17 for a 1000 foot range.

**broken link removed** **broken link removed****broken link removed**
See mouser catalog page.

Nigel uses , in the US they can be found a DigiKey.
The RTFQ1 (transmitter $13 US) and RRFQ1 (receiver $27US).
HTH

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/two-way-radio-comunication.27544/?highlight=transmit

3v0 said:
The rfPIC family is limited to **broken link removed** in 3 frequency ranges. It only has 1K bytes of 12 bit memory. Not much MCU to work with.

It's actually a 14 bit device, it's a bit weird that it has a 12 prefix. 1K of memory is quite a lot really, you can do an incredible amount with it, and it's a pretty powerful device. However! - it is VERY, VERY complicated to build a transmitter around, and the receiver side is even worse! - I was considering using them, but then I studied the datasheets - and decided it wasn't worth the trouble!

Far easier to use licence free radio modules.

I favor a separate MCU and radio.

So do I :D

Nigel uses , in the US they can be found a DigiKey.
The RTFQ1 (transmitter $13 US) and RRFQ1 (receiver $27US).
HTH

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/two-way-radio-comunication.27544/?highlight=transmit

My tutorials should work with any radio modules, and have the advantage of doing it properly with Manchester coding - you can do it crudely with normal serial, but it's less reliable and fraught with problems (particularly with FM modules at low, or no, signal).

Nigel Goodwin said:
My tutorials should work with any radio modules, and have the advantage of doing it properly with Manchester coding - you can do it crudely with normal serial, but it's less reliable and fraught with problems (particularly with FM modules at low, or no, signal).
I'm using Nigel's tutorial and works fine.
But sometimes it is not working if I program it to be sending the data for only once. It works perfect when the same data is sent twice. I think if I increase the number of bit of the header, it should be working fine? Since the header is used for the receiver to settle. FYI, I'm using the TLP434 and RLP434 RF module.

Probably, the pre-amble packet for these kinds of RF modules is very important for them to get a good clean signal before data is transmitted.

Sceadwian said:
Probably, the pre-amble packet for these kinds of RF modules is very important for them to get a good clean signal before data is transmitted.
How are we going to know that how long does it take for the receiver to settle?
This is the datasheet. Is it under 'receiver turn on time' which is 5 ms?

Thanks

Attachments

• TLP434A.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 372
Leave the receiver active all the time? Can you do that? If it's a sleep issue and your circuit is battery powered then things get a little more complicated as you have to start ballancing power usage and system performance.

Sceadwian said:
Leave the receiver active all the time? Can you do that? If it's a sleep issue and your circuit is battery powered then things get a little more complicated as you have to start ballancing power usage and system performance.
What do you mean? The header is to be sent before the address and the data to let the receiver has some time to settle, but I'm not sure how long does it take.

3v0 said:
Nigel

From **broken link removed** page

That is what caused me to think it is/was 12 bit memory. Not that it makes any difference for the reasons you pointed out.

Obviously the people who write the documentation are just as confused as the customers! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back