Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rfid

Status
Not open for further replies.

erosennin

Hi Guys,

I want to read these RFID tags (Credit Card Style), but I need to purchase the reader/writer device.
Is there any easy way I can tell whether the tags are 125kHz or 13.56MHz? I don't mind if this involves destroying a card.

Thank you,
Ero Sennin.

Hi Ero,

I'm not familiar with the techniques involved with RFIDs. However the German forum ELEKTOR.DE has quite a big community concerned with RFID. I will ask there and pass the answer to you.

Regards

Hans

Is there any easy way I can tell whether the tags are 125kHz or 13.56MHz?

It is usually written on the "package" :)
Anyhow, *all* ccard style rfid's I had chance to lay my hands on were 125kHz .. same thing with the tag's ... only 13MHz ones I know of are ones used in stores (theft alarm)

"destroying" the tag will not help much, I opened few of them and there was nothing inside that could give you any indication of the freq. they work on

You should look it up on the manufacturer's website. usuaully they list their tag options under their products directory. visually, you can't determine what operating frequency a tag operates on.

maybe you an hook it up to a VNA and see where it resonates, but it'll probably be hard to calibrate.

Okay, thanks guys.
It's not printed on the card because there is 3rd party artwork printed on top. I'll do some more research and see what comes up.
Thanks for the help.

you can get reader and writers that can work with both frequencys in the same package. they use these where i work, all the cardshere have 2 antennas running both frequency. they have a universal reader and writer. you can find them online for a hundred $ depending on where you look.

I tired looking up "cardshere" and it didn't yield any results. I would appreciate it if you could specify a particular model that I could look for. I am happy to pay around $100.

Thank you.

RFID Tags

There are three types of RFID tags. They are Passive, Active and semi-passive. Passive RFID tags are manufactured to be disposable, along with the disposable goods the tags are placed on. Active and semi-passive tags are reserved for costly items that are read over greater distances. They broadcast high frequencies from 850 to 950 MHz that can be read 100 feet or more away.
---------------------
DAAVID
Social media marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back