Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID based traffic light controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

7star

I like to implement this project by using PIC microcontroller

The traffic controller is incorporates a RFID based vehicle identification system to override the traffic signals to allow emergency vehicles such as ambulances or VIP convoys to pass the junction unhindered.

The emergency override of the traffic signals is based on the RFID identification of the approaching vehicles.The emergency vehicles will have to be fitted with the RFID devices and proper identification codes will be allotted.Each approaching roads to the junction will have RFID receivers to identify the approaching emergency vehicles.This information is used by the controller to stop all vehicles through the junction to clear the roads for the emergency vehicle.The RFID receivers will be located sufficiently away from the junction so that adequate time is available for cleaning the junction.

At the junction another RFID receiver will be used to confirm the passing of the emergency vehicle through the junction.Then the traffic signal will be restored back to the original condition prior to the stopping of all vehicles

Are you making the traffic lights or hooking into an existing one? You will need to give more details.

How would you deactivate the RFID when the vehicle is not on an emergency?
You wouldn't want the system activated anytime a vehicle approaches a intersection in not in a emergency situation.
The light type or RF type can be turned off when not needed.
How would you turn of a RFID type in the vehicle?

Our new design not only works with selectable delays, the vehicle presents at each road is sensed and the the signal timings are adjusted for the traffic load for each road.Hence the design is adaptive to the present traffic condition

Again, more details.

You have an RFID device trigger it. When they have passed. How does it return to a normal state?

The RFID receivers will be located sufficiently away from the junction so that adequate time is available for cleaning the junction.At the junction another RFID receiver will be used to confirm the passing of the emergency vehicle through the junction

Already a system on the market that does just what you are talking about. Radio is installed on each vehicle, and at each controlled intersection. Uses GPS to caluclate location, speed, heading, time of arrival and knows when the vehicle has passed through the intersection. More info found at Global Traffic Technologies

I guess you have to define "RFID". The vehicles have RF transmitters which are identified by a code.

sir i want to interface rfid with microcontroller serially ... can u tell me which type n model of rfid should i use ... n from which country i can order rfid ?? reply me thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back