Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Tx & Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

RF Tx & Rx
Hi,
One of my friend wanted to make a system to transfer data from 1 computer to another, using radio waves. He wanted to know what sort of circuit he can use, but i've not been used to those kind of stuffs. What he needs to do is transfer files from 1 comp to other wirelessly(just like a Wi-fi).
He will modulate the radio wave according to 1's n 0's. He has pretty okay software knowledge, since he's a computer science engineer.

Why not use Wi-Fi?

Does he need bidirectional transfer? How far does he need to go? How about wireless USB?

Building the circuits from scratch to transfer data over radio is probably too difficult for your friend to do and he will not be happy. I recommend that he start either with building a kit or buying ready-made transmitter and receiver modules. There are many transmitter and receiver modules available that are like buying an IC, each is a small circuit board with all the difficult RF things already figured out. Use these like you would any IC and your friend will have more fun.

examples:
SparkFun Electronics - RF Link 4800bps Receiver - 434MHz
SparkFun Electronics - RF Link Transmitter - 434MHz

yeah, the 434 MHz transceiver will do for them (still why not use WiFi?)
you can sent/receive data using serial ports , and there is provision for that in Microsoft visual basic.
so can sent/receive small chunks of data without any problem!

Why not Wi-Fi?
He wants to build something, so he's not using wi-fi.

Does he need bidirectional transfer? How far does he need to go? How about wireless USB?
Yes, a bidirectional one... and anything like about 5m or more will be okay.
434 MHz transceiver!
434 MHz transceiver! why not anything else? why not any other tx rx?
Whats exactly 434 Mhz transceiver? Why that freq range?

Any circuits with 434 Mhz transceiver??

You need to work within a frequency band that is legal and mass produced, thare may be other frequencys, you will need to look. Andy

Last edited:
434MHz is an available hobby frequency, you buy em (not something you build) and they're pretty cheap. Slow as dirt for data transfers and unidirectional, you'd need an RX and TX pair.

why not use two Bluetooth Dongles and configure? very cheap and effective.
they are sold in India at less than $3 each

Totally agreed but the BT modules satisfy their ego to use wireless interconnection. Perhaps they are needed to design an RF data communication circuit, but doesn't appears as a end user demand.

You need to work within a frequency band that is legal and mass produced, thare may be other frequencys, you will need to look. Andy

434MHz is an available hobby frequency, you buy em (not something you build) and they're pretty cheap. Slow as dirt for data transfers and unidirectional, you'd need an RX and TX pair.

okay! i know there is some concern about using 'Radio waves' legally. But i wont think it creates a big problem for short range communication.
So how can he start going with it, connecting it to usb/rs232... Should he start coding a program for it to work suitably?
What bridge for connecting PC with Trans Receiver ? How can he connect?

Last edited:
there are legal ways to use Radio data
apply for license to department of Telecom (WPC wing) , get the license and then purchase RF Transcivers and usein conjunction with RF power amplifiers and Directional antenne
you can cover Kms instead of few metres.

Come out with clear specifications like distance, restrictions etc.,
If it is for real use, not an academic design, ta set of blue tooth cover within the home. I used "MSONIC" brand bluetooth and it was just cheap at Indian Rs.100/- it works simply well
configure one pc as t sender and another as receiver for the files to be transported. The direction definition needs to be configured for each occasion .
As already suggested by Blueroomelectronics, an interconnect cable between two PCs is another chap way.

Last edited:
Once again best bet is a pair of WiFi cards setup in AdHoc mode. If you're sharing the Internet a wireless router is best.
Not the sort of thing you build from scratch.

there are legal ways to use Radio data
apply for license to department of Telecom (WPC wing) , get the license and then purchase RF Transcivers and usein conjunction with RF power amplifiers and Directional antenne
you can cover Kms instead of few metres.

hi, why so much of complications? how would it create a prob?
As u said, can i use frequency like 97.5Mhz (FM) after having the permission from them, i'm sure he's not in a mood to take weird decision for his Rs. 5k( 100$) project. I've heard that it requires lakhs of investment for that permission!. LOL

Last edited:
For $100 you can get a couple of WiFi adapters and a WiFi router. It'll work better than anything he could build himself.

i would suggest him with it. but he has been given an assignment to do something on his own. I think with 'what you recommend' and a bit of software programming work to spice-up. It would work for him.

hi, why so much of complications? how would it create a prob?
As u said, can i use frequency like 97.5Mhz (FM) after having the permission from them, i'm sure he's not in a mood to take weird decision for his Rs. 5k( 100$) project. I've heard that it requires lakhs of investment for that permission!. LOL
They would not give you permission at 97.5MHz .
Still you did not come out whether it is an educational design demand or actual end user demand?
@blueroomelectronics, the one I referred Msonic brand Bluetooth Dongle costs only $1.5 aappoxximate and a set would serrve the need, I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back