Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Remote control receiver and transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanna256

I am trying to expand on my application. I want a remote that has less than 10 meter range (more is OK as well). I want that remote to control turning on or off a circuit and send one pulse to start displaying a pattern. So basically a 2 button remote, I can either build it or buy a "remote kit" to connect my existing circuit.

My question is: If I have multiple circuits running in the house and I want multiple remotes to control them, how do I deign the transmitter to only listen to one remote (I don't want one remote to control all the devices)? Also, how to do I make a transmitter learn which remote to connect to? Any help would be appreciated, be it a link to a ready to buy kit or a schematic drawing.

Thanks

If it's inside the house, might check into X-10 stuff. They've been doing the home automation stuff for decades, and might have something to suit your needs, and it all works together. I haven't looked at it in years, but wasn't terrible expensive, and they had tons of information on their website on how each product works, and connects with other products the sell. Worth a look, just to see what's available, and maybe some ideas, and search the web for something more specific for your needs.

Have seen some automotive remote/receivers on surplus sites for around $20, not sure about the range, or how well they play together. Maybe for after market car alarms or something.

I tend to leave RF circuits to the experts, usually I find it frustrating to get them tuned, and a little disappointed in the final project, if it even works. Having the proper equipment would probably make a huge difference, but I seldom have a need for such an investment.

It is a lot cheaper to buy one than build one. If your wanting building experience then build one.

A garage door opener has a range about what you want. The receive is an ON/OFF switch so you can do anything you like with a switch.

Model race car remote controls are 2 channel, short range, real cheap about $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back