Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Module of choice for PIC to PIC wireless link

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

Hi,

All I want to do is to have a biderectional wireless data link between two PICs. I have been searching the whole net but couldnt nail down which RF module is right for me. So thought of seeking guidance here. :rolleyes:

For the time being I am going to use them for remote controlling my bot. PIC attached to PC will send control signals and PIC on the bot will send back sensor data.

So far I can only imagine that either i have to buy 2 pairs of RX/TX pairs or 2 tranceivers.

1) I am unable to judge if I need an ASK type, GSK type PSK etc etc type. been long since i was taught that :eek:

2) With tranceivers, would I have to code up extra to handle its half-duplex/full-duplex nature.

3) With RX-TX pair, how would i ensure that the right pairs are formed so that the PC is not talking to itself and robot doesnt start talking to itself.:eek:

4) Can you help me choose one from https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=16_79
and
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=16_114
and
**broken link removed**

5) Any hints on where to find the best price.:confused:

The ones used in Nigels tutorial seem to be a bit costly compared to above devices.

I beleive i am ok as per the legal issues given my purpose and the range supported by the above devices.

Last edited:
Mouser has Radiotronix REMOTE CONTROL MODULES in 3 frequencies.

The TX is under $5 and the RX is about $6 for a 300 foot range unit or $17 for a 1000 foot range.

**broken link removed** **broken link removed****broken link removed**
See mouser catalog page.

I have not used these and do not have a clue how well they work. For $10 a pair I may order some just to play with.

Are the linx modules shown at

**broken link removed**

complete RF modules on a single chip ?

If you want a single chip transceiver, this one is hard to beat;

**broken link removed**

Some of its features;
* Single +3 To +5V DC supply
* True single chip FSK transceiver 433MHz
* Few external components required
* No set up or configuration needed
* No coding of data required
* 20kbit/s data rate
* 2 channels
* Wide supply range
* Very low power consumption
* Standby mode

All for $26 From Oatley

The xBee are quite large in comparison to the R module I linked, and require 3.3V to operate (not to mention a breakout board), so chances are you will need two supplies and some sort of buffer for data transfer if your not using a 16LF or 18LF PIC

They also have a fair bit off setting up in comparison too..

nickelflippr said:
I wish there were cheap rf transeiver 'modules'. Please post if you have found any less than $20 ea.

These are the best tranciever's I've ever seen, and at less than $20 they are a *steal*!!

https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=705

...each transceiver has 6 internal data pipes... meaning you can set one up as a receiver to 6 others, make mesh networks, etc. etc. etc. Lots of hardware assist in error recovery and re-transmission and an easy to use SPI interface to your favourite micro makes using them a snap.

Regards,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back