Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

I want to make a RF beacon for the use in the UK, I am unsure of the rules and regs regarding this, I have been told by a friend that he used a 433mhz beacon with a range of 2miles on land and 10miles in air (whatever this means, I assume he means open air)

Thanks

P.S. If this is correct anyone know of a drop in module that I can use.

Scarr said:
I want to make a RF beacon for the use in the UK, I am unsure of the rules and regs regarding this, I have been told by a friend that he used a 433mhz beacon with a range of 2miles on land and 10miles in air (whatever this means, I assume he means open air)

433MHz is in the 70cm amateur radio band, so you would need an amateur radio licence to use it.

There are a number of licence free radio modules available for use in the UK, you can buy them at most electronic outlets - even Maplin stock them. However, the licence free conditions include strict aerial specifictions, and low power - giving short range. However, there are a number of longer distance licence free modules available.

What exactly are you wanting to do?.

Security device

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I want to make a small device that can be located. e.g. pulse a RF module and use a directional ariel to find it.

I have been told the 2miles urban and 10 miles open, can be done without a licence on 433mhz, also I would like to be able to select a freq from a range of frequency's withing a set range.

Can this be done? is these such a device / module?

almost forgot also it must be 3.5v as it's battary operated (plenty of current just not much volt's)

Re: Security device

Scarr said:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I want to make a small device that can be located. e.g. pulse a RF module and use a directional ariel to find it.

I have been told the 2miles urban and 10 miles open, can be done without a licence on 433mhz, also I would like to be able to select a freq from a range of frequency's withing a set range.

Can this be done? is these such a device / module?

almost forgot also it must be 3.5v as it's battary operated (plenty of current just not much volt's)

Have a look at , who manufacture and sell radio modules - but the long range ones tend to be rather expensive!.

I emailed them and they said NO!!

Thanks Nigel, I sent them an email and they said they don't do such a device.

Can you look at this spec and give me an idea if if it's possible or is the spec well out.

Range 2miles urban, 10miles open
3.5v supply
433mhz with ability to select a feqency from a pre-difined set.
Licence exempt

P.S. What are the licence restrictions, is it just freq bands or power output?

Re: I emailed them and they said NO!!

Scarr said:
Thanks Nigel, I sent them an email and they said they don't do such a device.

They do transmitters and receivers, it's up to you how you use them!.

Can you look at this spec and give me an idea if if it's possible or is the spec well out.

Range 2miles urban, 10miles open

That's a big range for licence free!. Although as you're not wanting to transfer data it might be possible.

3.5v supply

That looks a very low supply, most ready made transmitters use 9V or 12V.

433mhz with ability to select a feqency from a pre-difined set.
Licence exempt

It's rare to be able to select frequencies, presumably part of the licence conditions?.

P.S. What are the licence restrictions, is it just freq bands or power output?

Both, and considerably more, including the allowed aerial. I've never seen them, presumably they will be on a '.gov.uk' site somewhere?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back