Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeryus

hey guys
this is my 1st post:)
I am currently working on an mp3 player as a university project.I want to add a radio as an extra feature of the player.I am using the Si4721 FM transceiver chip.However,I need to design an antenna.How do I design an antenna on pcb?

Antenna design from what I hear is very hard. There are courses in university (graduate level) that just discuss antennas. Might be easier getting an external antenna, or smt antenna instead of creating a pcb one.

RF Cafe: Resources for Radio, Radar, RF, Microwave, & Wireless Engineering <-- try this website. Might give you some RF information on antennas.

If you find more information and/or successful in building one. Post back here with your results and hows/research. I'm sure others would be interested, myself included.

It depends on the freq of the chip. and how much power you need to put out to get the required effect. Omne directional antennas like simple vertical ones offer the best for if you are looking for a large area of coverage. Directional ones called Yagi's offer the most gain front to back. Again this depends on the aplication you are tring to get.

A good place to start is go:
ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

They offer a great selection of books and informarmation on this.

The formulas are not that hard for figuring out the diamentions of the antenna

I may be mistaken but I think my Sony Walkman and my Zune use the earphone conductor as an antenna for FM broadcast frequencies. I am not sure if they have small loopsticks for the AM portion (on Sony only, my Zune doesn't have AM broadcast band).

my iRiver H10 mp3 player has the same thing. Its FM antenna is the loop of wire for the headphones. I should play around with different lengths of headphones to see if there is any noticable difference or is it just crappy all the time.

At the power levels these are putting out a short random piece of wire will work fine. I have had a predriver putting out 10 mw on 50 Mhg with no antenna and I could hear it on a reciever 10 to 15 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back