Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF amp for 3g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Mccrackin

what is a good amplifire design for 3G ( I have a vodafone 3g datacard (merlin 360) and I am in a marginal area, I need an amp that will give me about 6db of gain but I don't know what device to use to amplifie 2.1 ghz...any sugestions?)

You don't want to be trying to design and build a micro-wave bi-directional amplifier - you're looking at EXTREMELY difficult design and construction problems.

If you can find one to buy?, I suggest you do that, although adding an external aerial (at a decent height) may be all you need?.

O.k so if I were to extent my existing aerial, what would be the best design, can I use a yagi? or a dish? the aerial that comes with the card has only a 2 ft long lead. I get about 3db gain with this but it is not enough. any sugestons as to what aerial would be best?

Phil Mccrackin said:
O.k so if I were to extent my existing aerial, what would be the best design, can I use a yagi? or a dish? the aerial that comes with the card has only a 2 ft long lead. I get about 3db gain with this but it is not enough. any sugestons as to what aerial would be best?

Again, I would suggest buying an aerial, or (for a start) buying an extension lead - and getting the existing aerial in a better place, which may be higher, but may not be. Fitting a better aerial in the existing site will only make the difference of the increase in gain between the aerials - better siting may well make a LOT more difference.

A cantenna design might work, the websites usually include the ability to alter the frequency required in the design
**broken link removed**
And at around $20 to make one it can't hurt the hip pocket to try one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back