Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rewinding 110v contactor coil for 220v

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleintoren

I have a Square D Contactor but it has a 110v removable coil - We run on a 220v system is SA. How many turns do I put on the bobin for 220v - is it the same as calculating a transformer?

Buy a new 220v coil from Square D. It is absolutely the only way of handling this problem. Rewinding is not an option. Modifications of any kind are not an option, especially if this is being used in an industrial application. Let's keep it safe and reliable.

Per Dean, Square D offers the coil of your choice as to 120, 240 or even 480 volts for their contactors. That is a viable option.

My choice for a quick solution (and simple) would be a 2:1 step down control transformer as SABorn suggest. This is quick and simple to do.

Rewinding the coil is not an option as was mentioned.

Ron

Thanks for all the replies, I was considered getting a new coil from Square D but cannot find a supplier on the net
I live on a farm in the Colesberg district and with our 4x4 road to town rewinding looked like an easy alternative :)

I'm quite used to building circuits and transformers and playing with u-controllers
unfortunately there is no space for transformer in the box at the pump

If anyone knows where to get hold of the coils in SA! let me know, it will be much appreciated.

if you can rewind it in right way, it will work too without any doubt. reliability depends on how expert you are in making the core & winding as it was before. for short time you can rewind & use it until you get the spare. the concern is ampere turns, measure the current it takes in 110V, then count the winding. current x no of winding should be the same for your new coil ( when fixed to contactor). coil size has to be selected based on the current it will take. you can try selecting a coil of half, the cross section & doubling the number of winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back