Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reversing a dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preston

This is my first post here. I've not been able to find help anywhere and I found this site so here goes.

I've got a chicken coop I wanting to put an automatic door on. I have the slide and door made and installed. I found a place to get the solar panel, timer, and battery but the motor I'm not sure what I need and the proper way to reverse it after is opens in the morning to close at dusk off the timer. The door I've used is a 18"X12" fiber type cutting board. It only weighs about 8 ounces.

So can anyone help me on what motor I need and to rpm and power to lift and hold the door, and how do I reverse it to close?

Thanks

Preston

By the way, I'm a retired ironworker and just about forgot all I knew about electronics from my Army days.

Last edited:
You will want a geared motor, as a motor on its own will turn too fast but not have much torque.

Just about all DC motors are permanent magnet motors. You can reverse them by reversing the connections.

There have been at least two other threads for hen coop door control in this forum. Use the Search feature at the top of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back