Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reverse Engineer PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatofood

Hello everyone

I have a PCB board for a device charger. I want to reverse engineer it and then modify components to make it more efficient and better. I am seeking someone who can help me re-engineer this board.

What would you be the best way to get the schematic with DOM list? Please help

Thank you

What's a "DOM" list?

Reverse engineering any circuit can take a lot of time. Why bother for something as simple as a charger when your plan is simply to redesign it to be better and more efficient? For starters, can you simply list the components on the board? If not, the road to reverse engineering it will be even steeper. Why not start with a known circuit and improve it?

John

Well, I got the schematic made (see attached)
but my engineer told me "that we do not have the part number of some components,as the manufacturer of this product does not want anyone else to copy this board,so they erase the information on the surface of these components,we can not know their information."

Is there anyway to make this work? or is it better to start from scratch? Please advise.

Thank you

Attachments

• didyoufinishtheschematic.zip
    23 KB · Views: 180
It seems to me you are asking for help duplicating copyrighted work without the owner's permission. That is theft.

It is far better to start from scratch.

John

From the terms of service of ETO:

upload_2015-2-19_6-24-50.png

Original work such as this is copyrighted from its creation in the USA and elsewhere. You do not need to give notice. Moreover, you have not provided any photographs of the board or device you are trying to duplicate. We only have your word that it is not protected intellectual property, and we have no basis on which to judge the accuracy of your assertion.

John

I want to reverse engineer it and then modify components to make it more efficient and better.
How do you know that the circuit is not working at its best efficiency as it is currently designed.
my engineer told me "that we do not have the part number of some components,as the manufacturer of this product does not want anyone else to copy this board,so they erase the information on the surface of these components,we can not know their information."
So, YOUR engineer cannot be bothered to work out what the unknown components are, yet you expect US to do the same with no information.
In my biassed opinion, a ZIP file is no information, I cannot be bothered to un zip it. Don't make life harder for people who may otherwise help you.

HINT, some integrated circuits have their part number on the underside, as well as the topside.
I have seen and heared of cases where numbers have been removed from the top but not the underside of the package.
Try removing them from the board, you may get lucky.

JimB

If one really wanted to modify components to make it more efficient and better, they would already understand the properties of all components in place that need to be improved.

The schematic given is a long way from figuring out how to clone this.

I once fixed a guitar amp with lots of synth sounds. All the parts looked the same with the part numbers rubbed off. Using a scope it took me a few hours to find the fault and repair it, which turned out to be a design fault in a level shifter between polar logic and bipolar logic level needed for dual supply analog switches, that I fixed with some bias resistors. ( circa '78)

Point being, you need experience to improve a design, not just a partial schematic.

So where can I get this PCB made from scratch? I am software engineer, I know nothing about hardware or circuit boards. What would be the best way to get this PCB board made?

The only reason why I got this schematic made was so that an engineer has an easier time designing something better.

Please let me know your thoughts.

the work done so far to schematic has only scratched the surface of this design. Give up on that idea.

So where can I get this PCB made from scratch? I am software engineer, I know nothing about hardware or circuit boards. What would be the best way to get this PCB board made?

The only reason why I got this schematic made was so that an engineer has an easier time designing something better.

Please let me know your thoughts.

So, as a software engineer, how do you feel about someone else copying your work and passing it off as their own?

As for designing something better, I prefer to start with a product specification and start from scratch.

re first post , if you want to make better, find out what is happening at lightning dock port, clue 1=gnd,2,3=usb passthrough, only pi ask yourself what does this device do, and what is that will make better, from there you design and drop new circuits, maybe if your "better"mod is simple enough you may be able to create a plugin?

maybe more detals of better will reveal a easy path

all this raises legal questions for me now, with all what i do

We all stand on the shoulders of those that come before us.
Take apart a product and learn.
Don't reinvent the wheel.
I didn't say copy. I do say learn and do it your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back