Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ReUse the Ancients II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

I've got lots of those abominable transformers from old radios and stuff ( The ones which step down 240 Vac to electronics scale) And I also got lots of Neo-mags extracted from very old hard drives. (The big ones with only 1.5 GB disc space.. :eek:)

Is it better to use the transformers with their iron core if I wanted to make them as stator coils for a generator? What is the best orientation i.e position of the coil facing the moving Neo-Mag?

I've built a generator before, generating 30 V DC after rectification and smoothing at 3000 rpm, it's just that the analysis about efficiency, PF and all that isn't done., but I completely isolated the generator from any iron proximity by only using plastic as the structure, since the reluctance of the armature (Neo mag ones) increases amazingly with any of them nearby.

okay my question is badly phrased, I get it. Just take a look at the diagram attached. This is how I plan to build it.

The problem is, iron cores produce an amazing reluctance due to the Neodymium magnets' strength, and I was wondering if it is better to omit the iron cores.
Anyone?

Attachments

• transformer generator.JPG
    transformer generator.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 438
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back