Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Retractable Car Spoiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarok432

G'day

So, I have to complete a media Assignment, And For one section of the script, it is planned to have a retractable/deployable car spoiler.

the Current plan is to have the spoiler sit flat on the (We call it Boot Here in Aus) Trunk of the car, and when a switch is pressed, the spoiler to rise up.

I know there is probably many ways to cheat this, But I would also like to use this after the assignment, as it just generally seems cool.

Now, I have thought of Many ways to do this, But I am sorta stuck. Firstly, I am only 17, secondly, I have limited experience with Electronics, But I have a generally good concept and can solder, etc, so I would like this to be as simple as possible

My first and only Idea, Is to have the spoiler (Aluminium for us) On two Poles on opposite sides of the spoiler, With Notches cut in so that a gear can push the spoiler up. the Only Problem with this, Is I am not sure how to lock it in place without getting out of the car. But it HAS to be locked and Must stand up to Highway speeds.

Thank you so much for your help

-Eric

Use a car window motor, with its gearbox. They are almost impossible to move once the power is removed.

You could probably get away with the simple reversing switch that is used on some cars to raise and lower. Older cars didn't have any sort of cut out as they relied on the user letting go of the switch soon after the window had gone up or down.

Use a car window motor, with its gearbox. They are almost impossible to move once the power is removed.

You could probably get away with the simple reversing switch that is used on some cars to raise and lower. Older cars didn't have any sort of cut out as they relied on the user letting go of the switch soon after the window had gone up or down.

This sounds like the best options, considering I do not have 200 Dollars for 2 Actuators.

Ill do some research on the car window motors, Might be able to get one at the local wreckers, I am still accepting ideas.

Thankyou so much though

EDIT: Four Car Power Window Motors with gearboxes for 27 Dollars. Seems like the best option

Last edited:
Using a cam you don't have to worry about locking.

Extend the spoiler by means of the cam on a rotating shaft and retract it spring loaded (high speed will assist retraction).

Also see "wing slats", more or less 'spoilers' on the leading edge of aircraft wings. They are used to decrease the turn radius during combat flights - thereby sacrificing speed.

A good example is the McDonnel Douglas F4 (Phantom)

The slats are extended by a hydraulic actuator and retracted by air pressure.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Using a cam you don't have to worry about locking.

Extend the spoiler by means of the cam on a rotating shaft and retract it spring loaded (high speed will assist retraction).

Boncuk

Another small DC motor you might consider, that should be available from a wrecker, is a windshield (or is that windscreen) wiper motor.

there are a couple cars that already have this feature. what ever means of raising the spoiler you use will have to be strong as going 65mph + will put a large amount of down force on the spoiler. look into windshield wiper motors there pertty strong. use one on each side of the spoiler. i have been thinking of a way to make this work also. i was gonna try to use plc and a pressure sensor to tell the spoiler when to come up and go down. hope this helps some.

there are a couple cars that already have this feature. what ever means of raising the spoiler you use will have to be strong as going 65mph + will put a large amount of down force on the spoiler. look into windshield wiper motors there pertty strong. use one on each side of the spoiler. i have been thinking of a way to make this work also. i was gonna try to use plc and a pressure sensor to tell the spoiler when to come up and go down. hope this helps some.

Well, I'm just going to go for the simple missile switch

Also, Do the Windshield Motors Lock strong enough?

Last edited:
Cars have (or had) an automatic spoiler that popped up when a certain speed was reached then retracted when the speed of the car dropped.
I think there was a car that lowered itself when a certain speed was reached for better downforce.

Cars have (or had) an automatic spoiler that popped up when a certain speed was reached then retracted when the speed of the car dropped.
I think there was a car that lowered itself when a certain speed was reached for better downforce.

AG, these auto-raising spoilers would be the likes of Audi and Porsche (and probably a few others).

IIRC, these pop up roughly around 70 - 75 MPH and drop down again when approaching urban speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back