Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resonant CCFL transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I want to build a powerful 12V strobe, probably using one of these:

https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=FLT-8&type=store

Now there are a lot of little HV transformers used to power camera flashes, but they don't seem to really have the voltage or current output I'd want.

So one thing I'm looking at was a CCFL power supply, which is not only tiny but seem to have a pretty impressive power output. I fed a FWB made of high speed diodes and it was impressive. Its current draw is actually lower when the HV cap voltage is low when it first turns on (or has fired), normal transformers create a large surge under those conditions.

Now back to the original question- the driver circuitry is nothing but two transistors, two resistors, a cap, and an inductor. And the inductor seems to just be a noise filtering thing. There are some feedback windings off the transformer.

What kind of oscillator is this? Can I potentially increase the power output if I used smaller resistors and maybe transistors with better heat dissipation? Just how does that type of oscillator work?

Hiya Oznog,
Take a look at this link to Oatley electronics, they have a ccfl inverter kit that has been reviewed in siliconchip magazine. In the article they were powering a small 240 volt tv set and running it on 12 volts. Download the instruction which will give you an insite to how it works.

Cheers Bryan1 :D

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back