Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistors - 5 Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWControls

I am having a little trouble determining the resistance of the following 5 band resistors.

I have attached some pictures of them. I apologize for the pictures. I can try to get clearer pictures if that would help.

The conclusions I am coming up with are extremely high resistance. Can someone verify these conclusions or show me where I am going wrong?

Thanks
TW

Image 1 - This resistor is color coded Brown, Red, White, Yellow, and Green OR Green, Yellow, White, Red, and Brown. If I read it from Brown....Green I come up with 129M .5%. If I go from Green....Brown I come up with 56.9K 1%. My meter can't read the value so I believe it is 129M .5%

Image 2 - This resistor is color coded Brown, Red, Blue, Violet, and Green OR Green, Violet, Blue, Red, and Brown. The Brown strip is wider than the others. If I read it from Brown...Green I come up with 1260M .5%. If I read it from Green...Brown I come up with 57.

Image 3 - This resistor is color coded Red, Red, Red, Silver(Grey?), and Green OR Green, Silver(Grey), Red, Red, and Red. If I read it Red.Silver, Green I come up with 2.22 .5%. I should be able to read this with my meter but I can't. Reversing this with the Silver

Attachments

• R2.JPG
    R2.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 140
  • R6.JPG
    R6.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 123
  • R12.JPG
    R12.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 135
The five band resistors are just like a four band resistor. I have included a PDF file for you. The last page will explain this to you via a chart. The first page is a list of common resistors.

Attachments

• Resistors.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 833
Hi

This is a first time i read resistors with the color code, I try it with my resistors. I think to prevent from reading it in the wrong direction,you have to be careful in the spacing of the color code. For the five band resistor, the fourth and fifth band has a slightly larger spacing, just like the four band resistor.:D

Cheers

I was going off that all the resistors were probabley the same tolerance which made the Green the first number. Plus the wide brown band on the one resistor. The first resistor was throwing me off. I thought it was 3 red marks but it is 3 brown marks.

1 - 6.81K 1%
2 - 57.6K 1%
3 - 54.9K 1%

The real challenge is to determine a resistor's original value when there are burn marks that discolor the bands as well as a change in value from the heat! Oh, and no schematic diagram for reference nor value markings on the PCB. Now, that's when electronics begins to suck!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back