Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Looking for help firstly identifying the component in the photos that I believe to be a resistor.I'm not sure what type of resistor this is but it's purpose from the object it came from is to spark quench.

The item in question has the name BERCO and 225ohm on it.

The resistor does not test when doing an ohm test so I believe it to be dead although it look fine.

I would like to replace this with a like resistor so if anyone can help point me to a supplier.

regards!!
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0002..JPG
    IMG_0002..JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0003..JPG
    IMG_0003..JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0004..JPG
    IMG_0004..JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 283
Hi

Looking for help firstly identifying the component in the photos that I believe to be a resistor.I'm not sure what type of resistor this is but it's purpose from the object it came from is to spark quench.

The resistor does not test when doing an ohm test so I believe it to be dead although it look fine.

I would like to replace this with a like resistor so if anyone can help point me to a supplier.

regards!!
Mark

hi Mark,
Are you sure thats not 2.25R..?

Last edited:
Hi

regards!!
Mark

It is a wire wound resistor which generally has a higher power rating.
Here is a link (only so you can see pictures) of several types.
Generally, the higher the power rating, the larger size of the resistor.
Wire Wound Resistors

Also:
https://www.claudelyons.co.uk/resistors.htm

Last edited:
hi Mark,
look here

Your Search Results | Farnell United Kingdom

EDIT:

Gently crack the resistor coating with a light hammer so that you can partly expose the winding.
It will the be possible to measure a section and get an idea what the value really is.

Last edited:
Hi Eric:)

I'm pretty sure but not 100% other people that have these clocks are saying around the same value.
The resistor came from an old clock that has two large electromagnetic coils that run on around 20v.The resistor is for spark quenching on the contacts that switch the large coils.

Regards
Mark

Hi,
Did you see my edit about cracking the enamelled covering.?

Tubular power resistors generally have a hold in the center and can be secured with a bolt.
There should also be insulators on each end where the head of the bolt and the chassis would touch the resistor body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back