Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Wattage Rating Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempachi343

Hi guys,

I have been working on a low voltage, high current Variable PSU, and I have a question about the rating of the resistors in my circuit.

If my PSU is supplying a 12v Load, drawing 5A, then each of my '0.1ohm 5W' Resistors will be dissipating 30W of heat (12X2.5). I read that the wattage rating is:

*It's the maximum power the resistor can _continuously_ dissipate for a
given set of ambient conditions to achieve a possibly unspecified
reliability rating.*

But every circuit I've seen that I'm basing this off only uses 5w or 10w resistors, yet they can supply up to 10A? I'm a little confused by this, and any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan.

*I've added a circuit diagram so you can see the use of R3 and R4.*

Attachments

• Psu 1.0.JPG
    Psu 1.0.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 208
Dan,

I would like to know the logical reasoning behind the resistors myself.
Ive seen 15 AMP supplies, using 5 or 10 watt balancing resistors, which makes no sense according to the P= IV law. Surely, a supply can deliver continuous current :)

It's really EXTREMELY simple.

10A power supply, so each resistor passes 5A only (as there's two of them).

5A through 0.1 ohms equals 0.5V dropped across it.

5A x 0.5V = 2.5W - only half the rating of a 5W resistor.

crud, voltage drop, forgot. *doh*
I calculated it using the voltage across that path, instead of the drop across the resistor.

Yes, what Nigel said…. and don’t forget the other common forms of Ohm’s law that are useful, when you don’t know one of the variables.

P = I^2xR

P = V^2/R

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back