Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor values

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolazy2p

Howdy. I'm working on a small project that requires a number of resistors. Two of the resistors I need are a 4K7 and a 220R. Up till now I havent seen resistors marked like that.

What do the "K" and "R" mean? Is it just a different way of writing ohms and kiloohms?

4K7 is the same as writing 4.7K, or 4700 ohm. I think the "R" just means resistor. Good luck with your project! :)

toolazy2p said:
Howdy. I'm working on a small project that requires a number of resistors. Two of the resistors I need are a 4K7 and a 220R. Up till now I havent seen resistors marked like that.

What do the "K" and "R" mean? Is it just a different way of writing ohms and kiloohms?

It's the International standard method of labelling resistors, and has been for many years - it makes it far clearer, with no "is there a point, or isn't there" worries. 4K7 is 4.7K, 220R is 220 ohm.

SPDCHK said:
... just in case ...
Hee, hee. I didn't hear that colour code before:
"Bad Boys Ravish Only Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"
:D :D

You've not heard that eh? I was taught that at college as an easy way to remember the colour code, although it's probably quite controversial these days with all the political correctness and all that!

toolazy2p:

Howdy partner (I think that's how you Texans say it). Welcome to Electro-Tech-Online!

Brian

0R2 or just R2 means 0.2 ohms; this is common on current shunts.

"Bad Boys Ravish Only Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"

For about the last 35 years, I've had "Bad Boys Rave Over Young Girls But Varga Goes Wild" in my head. Varga was the name of our Electronics Instructor.

BeeBop said:
For about the last 35 years, I've had "Bad Boys Rave Over Young Girls But Varga Goes Wild" in my head. Varga was the name of our Electronics Instructor.

We were told "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Get Wise" at Tech, but I had already known the colour code for 8 or 9 yeats.

I heard "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Goes Willingly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back