Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor values......

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmikejt12

hi again, i baught myself a GCSE component pack from maplins here: **broken link removed**

it contains 10 of the following values:

10 47
100 220 330 470 680
1k 2k2 3k3 4k7 6k8
10k 22k 33k 47k 68k
100k 22k 33k 470k 680k
1M

The problem is, the resistors i usualy work with are the brown ones with 3 coloured bands and then the gold. But these ones have 4 coloured bands and then a brown and i am having difficulty reading the values.
Here is what i got (not counting the brown at the end of each resistor):

1) blue, gray, black, orange 680k
2) blue, gray, black, red 68k
3) blue, gray, black brown 6k8
4) blue, gray, black, black 680
5) yellow, purple, black, red 470k
6) yellow, brown, black, orange 470k
7) yellow, purple, black, brown 47k
8.) yellow, purple, black, black 4k7
9) yellow, purple, gold 470
10) orange, orange, black, red 33k
11) orange, orange, black, black 3k3
12)orange, orange, black, brown 330
13)red, red, black, red 22k
14) red, red, black, brown 22k
15) red, red, black, black 2k2
16) red, red, black, yellow 220
17) brown, black, black, gold 10
18.) brown, black, black, brown 100
19) brown, black, black, black 1k
20) brown, black, black, red 10k
21) brown, black, black, orange 100k
22) brown, black, black, yellow 1m

I have lost one set and i know some of those are wrong, i just don't know which ones or what to change them to. I have numbered them 1-22 to make it easier for you to tell me which ones need changing.
I have tries searching google for info about resistor values but it didnt help.
Hope you can.
Thanks, Mike

It's common practice to check each resistor with a multimeter before placing in a project, so why don't you check them with a multimeter. If you got a few of them them their probably together on tape so you only need to check 1 of them them write the value on the tape. Recently I bought 100 10K resistors and got them home only to find out they were 8.8K to 9K and they were supposed to be 1% ones. So it always pays to check with a DMM.

Hope this Helps

Cheers Bryan :D

madmikejt12 said:
6) yellow, brown, black, orange 470k

Those are all wrong. Finding the right values is left as an exercise to the original poster ;) :D

bryan1 said:
Recently I bought 100 10K resistors and got them home only to find out they were 8.8K to 9K and they were supposed to be 1% ones. So it always pays to check with a DMM.

This is quite unusual. Even 10% tolerance resistors manufactured today are usually well within 1% of the nominal value. You either bought cheaply made and/or very old resistors or your meter needs its battery replaced!

"Joel Rainville"
This is quite unusual. Even 10% tolerance resistors manufactured today are usually well within 1% of the nominal value. You either bought cheaply made and/or very old resistors or your meter needs its battery replaced!

Well when I went and looked at the colour codes in the sunlight they were 9.1K and not 10K that I asked for. Anyway that electronic store I bought them has lost 1 customer after the service I got from them was attrocious. As far as my multimeter goes I'm using a fluke 865 running on 240 volts via the plugpack as it chews AA batteries too quick. This multimeter is a dream with electronics as it's got a built in scope, etc and it was worth swapping my old laptop for it.

Cheers Bryan :D

Joel Rainville said:
madmikejt12 said:
6) yellow, purple, black, orange 470k

Those are all wrong. Finding the right values is left as an exercise to the original poster ;) :D
Thanks for the link.
I thaught the top ones would have been wrong, not all those lol :eek:
number 6 should have been purple not brown....
ok, so i got this this time:
6) 47k ??
7) 4k7
8.) 470 ohms
9) 47 ohms
10) 3k3
11) 330
12) 33k ??
14) 220
15) 22k
16) 2k2
17) 100
18.) 1k
19) 100

Thanks to everyone for your help :)
hope that is right....

Mike

Those have to be the weirdest resistors I've seen in a long time. They're 5-band resistors with 1% tolerance but don't follow the standard values of 1% resistors but rather the 5% chart. What gives?

Dean

lol i like the brown ones with 3 band and then the gold or silver tolerance one i can work out those ones easier, i found a program that calculated the resistance of 4 or 5 band resistors, all i had to do was enter the colours so ive done them now :D lol

Mikey - that box from Maplin looks a bit expensive for what it is... You don't get many resistors either, but if you are just learning I suppose it's ok for a starter.. I might start making up those kits to sell myself :) Are you still after some relays?

Kind regards,

Mike

nope, got some now, sorry.
They are 12v 40 amp SPCO car relays

I might start making up those kits to sell myself
wouldnt mind buying one of those :) lol
do you meen the same as the maplin one or with diferent/more components?
I'm still waiting for other components to come (ordered them a week ago) from www.mutr.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back