Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodturner550

I am wondering if it makes any difference using a carbon resistor or a metal film resistor.
Put another way. Plan calls for 330 OHM carbon resistor, I have 330 metal film resistors. Will it make any difference?

I happen to be working with PIC microcontrollers.

Thanks.

woodturner550

Metal films are more stable over time/temperature than carbon. If you are just using is as a pullup, or a current limiting resistor, then you will never notice a carbon's bad behavior. If you are making a voltage divider, you might notice it.

As I see it ....Its like and upgrade for resistors using metal film.
Yes. In just about any application, a metal film resistor is an upgrade from a carbon composition. And since there is not a great price differential between them, you don't see many carbon comp resistors used anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back