Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no idea i'm thinking to use different PIC - my wild guess it's a PIC.

thanks hero the other optos must have confused me since cathode is usually pin 1

and it's not triac it's darlington i wonder if this will really trigger

i'm sorry if this was a stupid question

Last edited:
Well I don't know much about the flash you're using but normally the trigger is a small pulse applied to a small high voltage transformer which creates a few kV to ignite the tube.

The trigger pulse is normally a couple of hundred volts but low current, which is why a high voltage transistor is needed. It's also often delivered by a capacitor so a TRIAC might work.

thanks hero for the info.

i remember now since it's LED the supply should be reversed also.

i'll buy a opto with builtin triac tomorrow

The circuit you posted should trigger the flash just fine the way it is. The Diode portion of the optocoupler has a forward voltage of 1.1 volts at about 80 mA. Therefore if you want to trigger using a 5 volt pulse you have 5 volts (supply) minus 1.1 volts (forward voltage of the diode) gives you 3.9 volts. Therefore 3.9 / .080 = 48.75 and thus your 50 Ohm current limiting resistor. Connected just like the image the flash should fire when you apply 5 volts to your opto coupler with that 50 Ohms in there to limit the current.

Ron

Sorry if I mislead you, there's no need to buy a optp-TRIAC, if you already have a photo-transistor, however if you can't get hold of a photo-transistor go with the opto-TRIAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back