Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor on leds with LM3916?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divad89

I'm just about assemble this VU-meter with LM3916, and I have seen diagrams and so on, but when the leds only can take up to 3v, shouldn't there be a resistor before the leds when i'm using 12v? On all of the diagrams I have seen there hasn't been used any...

---
David

You don't need resistors because the LM3916 outputs are current regulated (constant current). If you read the data sheet you'll see it's adjustable from 1mA to 30mA (I know, real electronikers don't read data sheets). You just set the current for the rated current of the LED and it provides that current, independent of the supply voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back