Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

williams5449

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to delve into the electronics world so I just bought an Elec Learning Lab from RS. The very first lesson calls for a 4.7k resistor. Well they didn't give me one. I've got 4.4k and a 5.2k. Can I use one of these instead? It's for a little LED Flasher.

Thanks for any help.

Danny

It is odd that they would give you NON standard values but fail to give a 4K7 which is a standard value. You are reading them properly ?

4k4 - yellow yellow red ( just saying it doesn't seem right)
5k2 - green red red ( & that is even worse)

it seems odd you would have those resistor values. they're not in the E24 series, which begs the question, how did you arrive at these values? if you measured them with a meter, then the "4k4" is probably marked as a 4k7 (or a 4k3), and the "5k2" is probably marked as 5k1. which would be bands of yel/vio/red for the 4k7 (or numeric marking 472) and the 5k1 would be banded grn/brn/red (numeric marking 512 or 5100). if the first resistor is a 4k3, then it would be yel/orn/red (numeric 432 or 4300).

the standard E-series decade values can be found here: https://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back