Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezerak

Im trying to work out what resistor should I use for a school project but I keep getting confused I need to drop a 6V input to a max of 5.25V output but a min 4.25V, can anyone help me out with this?
Kind regards

-Vincent

Two diodes in series will drop it to 4.6V

What are you powering?

Mike.

hello

mezerak said:
Im trying to work out what resistor should I use for a school project but I keep getting confused I need to drop a 6V input to a max of 5.25V output but a min 4.25V, can anyone help me out with this?
Kind regards

-Vincent
you must now how much current that is flowing i.e 6volts minus 1 volts and say .1 A is abt 10 ohms..but maybe you need some low voltage regulator or a simple "voltage divider"..excuse my english ..i'm from sweden...Holger

Pommie said:
Two diodes in series will drop it to 4.6V

What are you powering?

Mike.

Im trying to power a USB device, but the thing i need to produce the current is 6V and a usb doesnt go any higher than 5.25V

If you don't know what current the device will draw then a resistor is no use. The simplest method is to connect two diodes in series with the positive supply - 1N4001 will handle 1A and USB can only supply up to 500mA.

Mike.

Where are you getting the power supply from?

Use a low droput regulator.

Be warned, if it's four AA cells, the voltage will quickly drop to below 5V which where even most low droput regulators stop working.

hello,

Voltage dividers are good as long as the current drawn by the load is low (10 x less ) compared to the current flowing in the resistors network.
now if you do not have a fixed load or if the load takes up too much current your best bet is either a low drop out voltage or diodes in series....

best of luck
Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back