Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor design homework question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas632

Hi Guys

For a homework question I have been asked to design a theoretical resistor, but I don't really know where to start and I cannot really get any help from my teacher as it is assessed and so no help can be given. The question is as follows...

Design a simple, compact and non-inductive 1k ohm resistor based on wire that is 20micro metres thick with a resistivity of 147.47 micro ohm centimetre. the wire is covered with a 5 micro metre layer of insulation with a relative permittivity of 2.3.

My first thoughts are that a resistor made with a straight wire will be far too long, but if i coil the wire then i will be creating a helical coil which will therefore be inductive and the question states it should be "non-inductive."

I can only think that some design that possibly cancels the inductiveness by reversing the coil directions could help, but apart from that i dont really have a clue.

If anyone could help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

Design a simple, compact and non-inductive 1k ohm resistor based on wire that is 20micro metres thick with a resistivity of 147.47 micro ohm centimetre. the wire is covered with a 5 micro metre layer of insulation with a relative permittivity of 2.3.
The limitation given makes it even harder.

If the resistor is wound on a conductive substrate (silver, copper, gold, aluminum) the substrate will act as a short circuited winding. It won't fully eliminate inductance, but it should be pretty effective at higher frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back