Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resetting a D type flip flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper

Hi

I have a D type flip flop that I want to reset about 4nsec after the Q output goes high (sort of a 'one shot' circuit). Could someone give me a reliable circuit for that. The reset is active high and the flip flop comes with complementary outputs.

Thanks

An RC from the Q to the reset pin. (R from Q to reset. C from reset to ground.)

The reset will go high once the C has charged up from the Q through the R.

David Bridgen said:
An RC from the Q to the reset pin. (R from Q to reset. C from reset to ground.)

The reset will go high once the C has charged up from the Q through the R.

Thanks David; so the 4 nsec time in the unstable state can be set with this RC; but through what path the capacitor will discharge back to zero volts so that the D flip flop is ready for the data at next clock cycle.

When the flip-flp is set the Q goes high, and 4ns later so does the reset pin.
(The C was charged from the Q through the R.)

The Q then goes low, so the C discharges through the R and the Q.

Voila.

Why use a flip flop?

If you want a 4 ns pulse, this could be done by an RC differentiator followed by a Schmitt Trigger .

Len

:eek:
First of all the 4ns is a very short pulse, you must use a fast response time logic if you want a cvasi-rectangular pulse. For example the HC series have 6-8ns rise/fall time and this series is faster than LS-TTL so you must use AC series with 2-3ns rise/fall time. In this cases simply use propagation delay through circuits to generate such short pulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back