Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reset Circuit and ICSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan

Hi, i am trying to find out the perfect way to reset a PIC18 microcontroller other than having to use an IC for it.

Secondly, how can i make my circuit complaint for ICSP and somehow isolate it from the circuit.

Is it possible to program a PIC even if the LVP is disabled?

Hi, i am trying to find out the perfect way to reset a PIC18 microcontroller other than having to use an IC for it.

If you're NOT using ICSP, then connecting directly to Vdd is perfectly fine. It's covered in the datasheet.

Secondly, how can i make my circuit complaint for ICSP and somehow isolate it from the circuit.

For ICSP connect MCLR via a diode and resistor to Vdd. For the other pins, choose what you use them for carefully.

Try reading the instructions with the PICKIT2 which shows you what to do.

Is it possible to program a PIC even if the LVP is disabled?

Yes, perfectly possible and common, LVP is RARELY ever used, and seems a mostly useless feature (it's too wasteful).

If you're NOT using ICSP, then connecting directly to Vdd is perfectly fine. It's covered in the datasheet.

Nigel in datasheet i can only find this circuit (as attached).

I want to add a push button there as well. Should i replace the diode with a push button connected to ground? Also the value of C (capacitor) of 10uF will be fine?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 385
If I'm not mistaken the cap value is just to eliminate high frequency noise resetting the MCU during dips, the value doesn't need to be nearly that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back