Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reprogram cow-computer / step counter (TI 430F1122)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landmer

We use these transponders at a farm. They are put on the cows necklaces and register how much they move around / number of steps. Once a
day the cows pass by a reciever station (range 4m) that collects the data from the transponder.

The transponders are glued together and not supposed to change batteries. But now its getting harder to find new transponders to buy when
the battery runs out. The supplier want us to upgrade to a newer system with receiver unit and everything. I'd rather not..

I sliced one open and changed the ½AA battery in a unit that had lost all battery power. But the receiver won't recognize it now anyway
(each transponder unit has a 8-10 digit code / id).
Here are some pictures of the unit
DSC05352.jpg

DSC05355.jpg

I think the program is stored in the thing marked "430F1122"? Would it be possible somehow to read out the program from one of the units
that have not yet lost its battery power, change the unit ID and burn it in to one of the units with replaced battery?

Assuming that is a pre-programmed micro-controller it's almost certainly read protected (as it's a commercial product).

However, it shouldn't lose it's programming and required reprogramming anyway, so some kind of 'setup' procedure is probably required to set it back to how it was before. Any such procedure is likely to be unique to the person how designed it, so you would need to approach them to see if they would tell you how to do it (and supply the required hardware/software).

What would happen if you replaced the battery before the old on dies?
You may have to keep the board powered while replacing the battery, then it should loose nothing.

I would be surprised if the ID number was volatile (ie lost during a power off/on cycle), I would hope that it is hard coded somewhere.

As the thing is not working at the moment, I suggest a "hard reset". It cannot make things worse.
Try shorting pin 7 (RST/NMI) to the 0v supply line (the -ve terminal of the battery) for one or two seconds, and see if that will kick it back into life.

JimB

Edited for typos and clarification.

Last edited:
I agree with Jim. The datasheet is here. https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/msp430f1122 Pin #1 is the pin nearest the dot on the chip or the left bottom of the chip in your pic. Count counter-clockwise.

The 430 does have a One time programmable memory.

Changing batteries in anything can be problematic. Meaning, the connection can't bounce unless you have an alternate means of resetting. Cutting and soldering to the leads left over would be what I would do.

Make sure you replaced it with a lithium battery. This may be the battery without leads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xeno-Lithium-Thionyl-Chloride-Battery/dp/B000UU3P66#productDetails Don't try to solder wires to batteries unless the tabs are present.

A possible lithium non-rechargeable battery: **broken link removed**

These days I'd not be surprised if in order to force more cash out of you something within the unit is volatile, and its lost on powerdown, then you have to buy a new one.
The operating system is probabaly on flashrom, it'll be an I'm alive code that is stored in battery kept ram or something.

Jumper a pair of wires from another battery and quickly replace it, be quick as a large current will flow from a good to a dead battery.

Also to spoil your day there could well be a timer, or more apt a calendar within the unit that states how long it'll work for if the battery lasts longer than the manufacts thought (or you replaced it).

Reading the code will probably be difficult as most devices these days have read protect, as mentioned, which almost undoubtedly will be turned on.

Thank you for all the answers!
This unit that I opened only had 0.1 volts when i measured. Is it possible that it will be enough to keep the memory even though the 430f1122 is rated at minium 1.8 volt for program execution?

I have about 8 units that still have enough battery to communicate with the receiver unit. So on them I will try to change the battery with some backup power while changing.

Thanks for the tip about hard reset! I will try that as soon as I get near the receiver unit in the farm.
Sounds hopeful that the ID number shouldn't disappear in lack of battery as it seems unlikely that it would be possible to read out any program.

The sender units are sold as glued together and not suposed to be opened with the argument that the batteries will last 10 years. But they only offer 5 years warranty. Now they are about 6 years old so I hope its no calendar function to stop work that is activated yet, but you never know i guess..

Nope I dont spose the manufacts would admit to them programming the units to stop working after a certain amount of time.

Allthough the chip runs at a minimum of 1.8v yes its quite possible that it will still at least retain its working registers at 1.1v. The other thing depnding what meter you use maybe the meter is dragging the volts down a touch, dont forget the chip is a micropower device consuming extremely little energy.

Hello !
Here I also have such a payment, with a collar of a collar.
Producer Italy or Switzerland, I do not remember exactly.
In the figure I drew the contacts that ring and connect!
I'll connect via the programmer. I just want to find out what's written down there)!

Attachments

• 22908502_487210218326983_182735631_o.jpg
    22908502_487210218326983_182735631_o.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 120
  • SAM_2701.JPG.c3e84c7db6d1492ea57e26dd49f6b574.JPG
    SAM_2701.JPG.c3e84c7db6d1492ea57e26dd49f6b574.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_2702.JPG.3ec0e008ab43cdd5f0f93be6226a24a8.JPG
    SAM_2702.JPG.3ec0e008ab43cdd5f0f93be6226a24a8.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.