Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

glen65

Hello,
I am working with a pair of Definitive DR-7 speakers
that need the woofers replaced. They are using a combination of the Peerless Vifa D26TG-05-06 (6 ohm tweeter) with the Vifa P17WJ-00-04 (4 ohm woofer). I found out that the 4 ohm version of this driver is no longer available but I can still get the 8 ohm version. What would I need to change in the crossover to make the 8 ohm driver compatible?

I couldn’t find a schematic for the crossover so I just did a crude hand sketch to give you an idea what I have. I don’t know what the value of the inductors are.

Thanks.

Attachments

• crossover2.jpg
    crossover2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 250
An 8 ohm woofer uses half the current of a 4 ohm one so the bass will be reduced and the highs will be loud.
The capacitance in parallel with it needs to be halved and the inductance in series with it needs to be doubled.

Buy another 4 ohm woofer with the same specs as the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back