Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

replacing one fet for another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveten

I have a blown mosfet rated at 25v 35a 11m ohms. can I use a higher rated fet? like 30v and 100a or am i going to fry something? Thanks for any help.

fiveten

What application?

Im not real sure what is is for, it is on a game console mobo. I de-soldered it and the console is working. it was not prior to removing. I have seen some posts about it being for power? 12v and uses pwm.

Larger amp capacity means slower switching. You could cause big trouble in a PWM circuit. Try to read the part number on it.

It may be for a fan control.

When it went bad, the mobo probably thought the fan wasn't working so it refused to work.

With it removed, it opened the circuit, and alls happy...except with cooling.

Just a guess.

it is an xbox 360, i got it not working, it was coding for a bad power supply. I installed a known good power supply and the smoke got let out of the fet. it continued to code then I removed the fet and now it seems to be working. the mosfet is a fairchild fdd8782 fet with the specs listed 24v, 35a, 11m ohms. I found one on mouser but I'd rather not pay an arm and leg to purchase and ship it. this is why I am asking about the higher rated fet, i found on ebay for $3 shipped for 2.

fiveten

If it is a fan controller, just about any MOSFET with the same or higher voltage and current ratings and lower on resistance should work.

However, it is a gamble to simply replace a burned out component without determining the cause of the burnout. Try to trace the load on the MOSFET and make sure that it is not defective.

after i took it apart i found that someone had spilled something on it (soda or something stick like that) I cleaned it and is booting ok.

Yeah, that mosfet was rotten. I went and ordered some from Digikey came out to like $11, I guess that is cheaper than buying a new one. I'll be in it about $50 when I am done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back