Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing mechanical potentiometer with digital potentiometer for myRIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyflynn

Hi,

I wish to replace a mechanical potentiometer on a motor control board which is used to control the speed of a motor with a digital potentiometer. This will allow me to control the speed of the motor using LabVIEW on a PC. I have a myRIO 1900 series.

I am looking for some help with the wiring involved in the removal of the existing pot and replacing it with the digital pot.

I have attached a picture of the motor control board pointing to the pot as well as a pdf detailing the digital pot.

1580930159946.png

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Digital Potentiometer.pdf
    267.4 KB · Views: 228
The problem with using a digital pot is that the resistor terminals can only fall between GND and the supply voltage which for the Digital pot that you provided is 5V maximum.

Any motor controller worth their weight would provide an analog input 0-10V , 0-20mA, etc ... Do you have a datasheet on the motor controller? It's possible that the digital pot could be interfaced another way

BTW) That digital pot uses a AD5160 ... page 3 of the data sheet "Resistor Terminals" indicates GND to VDD for terminals A, B, and W of the digital potentiometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back