Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing a Resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechUser

Hi. I want to replace this resistor inside my phone but not sure whether its burnt out or its supposed to look like that. Initially I thought it was the capacitors that were causing the problem b/c they heat up but later found this discoloration of the resistor. I figured out what the resistance of the resistor is from the color bands but can't tell what wattage it is so I can get a replacement would appreciate it if someone can give me advice.

Attachments

• 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
The resistor appears to be a 10Ω ¼Watt, suffering from overheating but may be still working good. The best next action is to replace any and all capacitors that get hot.
Miguel

Last edited:
I've always said that every circuit contains a finite amount of smoke and if you let the smoke out of the circuit, it won't work again...and there's no way to put the smoke back in once you let it out.

It appears that the 220uF 10V cap is split open also.

Something caused a short or serious overload in the circuit and simply replacing the fried components only possibly fixes the symptoms but does not fix the cause. Was there a loose screw or something that could have caused the problem?

It appears that the 220uF 10V cap is split open also.

hi,
That 'goo' at the side of the 220uF is hot melt adhesive, used to hold the capacitor down.:)

I suspect the wrong [ or defective] charger has been plugged into this phone, the series resistor is cooking.

hi,
That 'goo' at the side of the 220uF is hot melt adhesive, used to hold the capacitor down.:)

Either that or the OP sneezed while investigating :)

I agree, the resistor is only a symptom.

Either that or the OP sneezed while investigating :)

I agree, the resistor is only a symptom.

Hi Mike,
You were reading my thoughts.!:eek:

I was also thinking 'slug bait' might solve the problem.;)

When I was younger I remember opening my stereo and noticed spaces on the PCB & silkscreen for dozens of never populated parts (like in the previous photo) I sure did want to fill them but of course the values were a mystery.

The resistor appears to be a 10Ω ¼Watt, suffering from overheating but may be still working good. The best next action is to replace any and all capacitors that get hot.
Miguel

The resistor might be 27 Ohms and perhaps NOT 10 Ohms. (colors appear as Red, Violet and Black.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back