Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing a CD player laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaguar13

I have a 3 disc cd player, and it just quit working. Every CD is I put in, it says NO DISC. I'm guessing the laser is messed up. Is there a way to replace it?

Many cd players have a tiny little SM potentiometer next to the laser. Sometimes it dares to 'wander off' a bit. If your system has such a little pot try to adjust it a little (VERY little).

'repaired' several pc cd-rom drives this way, and a sony mini system

If there isn't such a pot in your system then never mind this post :lol:

sometimes cleaning the lense may help.
you can try to ajust the potentiometers on CDs PCB also, but be careful to remember (or mark) the original settings.
Other problem may be just in mechanics: if you see your disk not spinning when inserted, most probable reason is a mechanics...
then you need to change all rubber loops but better take it to repairmen

Anry said:
Other problem may be just in mechanics: if you see your disk not spinning when inserted, most probable reason is a mechanics...

NO! - the most common reason for the disc not spinning is the laser assy, any CD players since the very early ones use the laser to detect the presence of a disk. When the draw is closed the laser trys to focus on a disc, once it does focus the disc is spun to try and read the TOC (Table Of Contents). If the laser can't get a focus on the disc, it decides there's no disc there and doesn't bother spinning it - and displays 'No Disc' instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back