Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement power source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trcfp

Hi All,

This is my very first post, and honestly I have very little knowledge of this subject, so I will apologies in advance is my question is a bit basic.

I have 2 devices outside that require 4 AA batteries each. I'd like to replace these with a main power adaptor. Ideally I'd like to plug in to the mains and run a cable between the 2 devices as a power supply.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi All,

This is my very first post, and honestly I have very little knowledge of this subject, so I will apologies in advance is my question is a bit basic.

I have 2 devices outside that require 4 AA batteries each. I'd like to replace these with a main power adaptor. Ideally I'd like to plug in to the mains and run a cable between the 2 devices as a power supply.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

hi,
Dont know your location, but in the UK you can buy a wall plug 6Vdc power plug.
Get one for about 6Vdc, 500mA. [replaces 4 *1.5V batteries]

Manchester:: Maplins is a place to start..

or this;
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, that is a great help.
Can I ask, would one of these be enough to power 3 devices that each require 4 AA batteries? Also, how would I connect it to bypass the batteries, what is required?

Thanks again.

Thanks Eric, that is a great help.
Can I ask, would one of these be enough to power 3 devices that each require 4 AA batteries? Also, how would I connect it to bypass the batteries, what is required?

Thanks again.

How long do the devices run before depleting fresh AA batteries? Here are some discharge curves for AA batteries which by knowing how long your devices run you can estimate what your devices draw. (Or you can just measure it directly if you own a Multimeter).

Based on knowing the current draw, you can go shopping for a wall-wart (AC mains powered charger/power supply). I have a junk box full of them; I get them at garage sales for under a $1.

They come in various voltages, both AC and DC. Of the DC ones, some are regulated, some are just filtered, and some are just full-wave rectified. You will probably need at least a filtered one; if you need a regulated one depends on the devices you are trying to power.

One more question for you: Would your devices care if they were tied together via the power supply, or do each individually require a "floating" supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back